Can you identify this fastener?

Due to the pronounced corners, I’d agree with Torx.

You might be able to grab the head with a pair of narrow Vise-Grips. I keep a pair of the needle-nose version just for those types of situations
Sometimes you can tug on the wire lug also and loosen, while you are having your way with the bolt
-Mark

Last edited:
Hex drive button head screws have notoriously shallow sockets and it is easy to swage the socket, making it difficult to remove. It is imortant to have a tight fit on the driver. For some sizes, using a metric driver for and SAE or vice versa will provide a tighter fit and decrease the chances of chowdering the fastener. Placing an appropriate driver in the socket and giving it a few raps with a hammer will often loosen it enough to remove it. Another trick is to put some torque on the connection in addition to the wrench torque. That has saved me more times than I can count.

Last edited:
Buy one of those kits with a hundred bits in them. !/4" hex so can be used with a 1/4" socket set, 1/4" drive impact wrench, spanner, screwdriver handle etc.
They are cheap enough that you can afford to hammer in the appropriate bit for a good bite. All the ones I have used have been damn good quality too! NZ$20 so less than US$10 and you will use them a lot.

Called a security bit set and they have just about every oddball drive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Well, thanks for all the great suggestions. I can't find anything in my security bit set that gets a bite on this so I'll either try the suggestion of cutting a slot in the head or I'll take a torx that somewhat closer and a tad bigger and give it a few taps.

Back