Can You Over Accessorize?

Nope, the head is bone dry since the belt drive install. Spooky quiet too. Where did you get your ball screws and nuts? I'm still wanting to convert mine even though I won't be doing the magical cnc part.

Linear motion bearings on ebay http://www.ebay.com/usr/linearmotionbearings2008?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754 I got the 2505 screws with double ball nuts, one end machined. He can machine whatever you want if you send him a print. Most of the guys have been using the 1605 screws successfully but I wanted to keep as close to stock size as possible. Some have stated that I would have to do significant machining to the bottom of the table to clear the ball nuts, but it doesn't look like it to me. I can just bring the table over to my FIL's house and clean it up on the BP though so I'm not worried.

Let me know, because that's (clearancing the underside of the table) not something my PM25 will be able to handle. Hand-held grinder maybe?

Will do. I don't see what the "extensive machining" would entail. I see some ribs that look to be the lowest point and based on my "precision" measuring look to be nearly 2" off the saddle. Maybe a couple would need a slight trim with a grinder? I'm getting dangerously close to actually taking the mill apart and start installing stuff. X looks to be the only place where it could be an issue so I'll check that out first.

With your DRO do you bother with the scales by the handles? The metric lead screw would kind of make those useless, especially with being nearly double the thread pitch.

There are scales by the handles? ;)

I have DROs on all of my machines. No more squinting at dials or counting turns. And having absolute position information means backlash is almost a non-issue as well.

I'm sure you are not afflicted by this problem, but my counting suffers from frequent incursions of ADD. 200...400...600...what am I having for supper tonight?..700...oh crap what was my count again?

] OK I have another one. Ever think about a speed handle similar to the type usually found on bridgeports? I googled and didn't come up with one result. The 3 spoked thing is getting a little old and it interferes with my work lights. Surely someone has made one?

Last edited:
If your machine up and walks out, you may have over accessorized. :dancing banana:

Back