Can you place this lathe on a Jeep?

I'm pretty sure the palm tree was used in Africa. The Germans had the palm tree symbol for Africa too.

If you search Pinterest for South Bend Lathes used in WW2 I think you find other pics of lathes.

Last edited:
The Afrika Corps palm tree markings had a swastika on them. British maybe?

Lathes and Jeeps...

It doesn't get any better than that.

Great pic, thanks for posting it!

-Bear

Googled it: it says 4th Armored. There was a British 4th Armored Brigade that served in North Africa. Maybe them.

If you look at the pic, he has it at high speed, has a drill type chuck and is using an electric motor to run it.
Rather curious i’d Say. What is he making/repairing?
Where did he plug in the motor.
I watch Pinterest for machinery pics. This one captures my less than nimble imagination.

I'm not 100% sure, but I would say it's a pic. of the English hard at work. That looks like a Myford/Drummond "M" series lathe. See the single "foot"?

Here was mine before I sold it about a year ago. Mine was the long bed option.
Myford M.jpg

very very interesting ! I have 5 jeeps and 5 lathes---Hmmmmmmm----I gotta quit thinking----I can just picture them though---Dave

This also seems like a way to "sharpen" an old tap since most of the cutting is done with the first few teeth.
Robert
I'm not 100% sure, but I would say it's a pic. of the English hard at work. That looks like a Myford/Drummond "M" series lathe. See the single "foot"?

Here was mine before I sold it about a year ago. Mine was the long bed option.
View attachment 275953

I think you are on to something.
The mounting base (foot) is identical. MyFord makes sense too.
Good call.
I am thinking that is a DC motor.

Back