Can you turn an Altas 10” into an Atlas12”?

great white

Active User
Registered
More of a discussion point than something I would consider doing.

Can you “change an Atlas 10” lathe into an Atlas 12” lathe?

it seems to me you could change the headstock, then install the taller 12” compound on the cross slide and finish with a 12” tailstock (or a larger tailstock base spacer).

Is it that simple or is there more I’m not seeing?

Again, just a discussion point, not planning on doing it.

Been done before. Most simply put riser blocks under the headstock and tailstock and call it done. Use a BXA tool post to get the tool to the new height.
Pierre

You could, although it might be preferable to switch to a later model 12" rather than uprade the 10". The later 12" is beefier overall IMO
-Mark

Been done before. Most simply put riser blocks under the headstock and tailstock and call it done. Use a BXA tool post to get the tool to the new height.
Pierre
Wouldn’t riser blocks just add another point for inaccuracies to compound?

Seems like just one more place where “flex” could be introduced…

Without knowing which model you are specifying, there are several approaches. Riser blocks have been used for years to increase the swing of a lathe. I had a UniMat DB-200 since 1969 or so that used riser blocks I currently run a Craftsman 101.27440. It is rated, and will swing, 12 inches. It is basicly an Atlas of the same vintage that was built spesifically for Sears & Roebuck. All functions and machine fittings are otherwise the same as an Atlas machine with the exception of headstock and tailstock. I can't speak for the cross slide, it "looks" the same as an Atlas and I use an AXA tool post with no problems. Belts, pulleys, gears (including the banjo), and other parts can and have been replaced with Atlas parts. Even the internal parts, spindle and such, are interchangable. Just a larger casting where it attaches.

If I had a 10 inch Atlas and a need for 12 inch swing, I would be more likely to acquire a larger machine. I bought the Craftsman for its' (lack of) weight, which in my case was a major consideration, rather than its' capacity. It was desined to be a hobbyist machine and is not well suited for production work. To make such a conversion as you are speculating would cost almost as much as a new oriental machine. And the work necessary to true up everything after dismantling the machine can take weeks of full time work. It can be done but is usually bypassed by hobby or casual level users.

Last edited:
It is common to use raising blocks to increase the swing of a lathe and can be done without compromising the accuracy of the machine; In the shop where I apprenticed, there was a 40" swing heavy duty LeBlond lathe that was blocked up to swing 87" X 31 ft center to center, it worked fine.

It is common to use raising blocks to increase the swing of a lathe and can be done without compromising the accuracy of the machine; In the shop where I apprenticed, there was a 40" swing heavy duty LeBlond lathe that was blocked up to swing 87" X 31 ft center to center, it worked fine.
you mean an 87" swing or a 43.5" swing? 87" swing is one heck of a massive clearance at the ways.

Either way, more than doubling the way clearance must have made for quite an odd looking setup....

Back