Can You Use The 8x Compound On 7x Lathe

Sk8ter

Active User
Registered
I really dislike the compound on my little 7x lathe...not very useful IMO...

I was wondering if there was a chance that the 8x lathe compound would fit...its longer which IMO will be much more useful for tapers etc...looks better constructed and i like the dial that comes on them....

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Lawrence

Which lathes?

In thinking about upsizing your compound, remember that the compound height will affect the size of work you can turn. Also, if you are using a QCTP, you may not be able lower your tools enough to hit the spindle center because of increased compound height. Similarly with a 4 way or lantern type tool post.

I was looking at the compound on the grizzly g0768 it is longer and has 4 gib adjusting screws......I guess the real question would be are the dovetails the same on both lathes? if so then it will work...as i will only get the female top part of the compound etc..

Lawrence

I would also like a better compound on my little 7X lathe. Anyone have an 8X and have time to post some dimensions? Thanks!

I have an upgraded version of the Sieg SC4 8.5 x 20 mini-lathe from Little Machine Shop. It has an upgraded version of compound slide found on the base SC4. The upgraded version is slightly different as it comes with a QCTP but the mounting method and dimensions are the same. Are you guys still interested in dimensions? I have it apart now and would be easy to get what dimensions you need now. I am replacing the leadscrew bushing with a ball bearing as it binds when the gibs are tight enough that the compound doesnt wiggle up and down and side to side.

do you have some close up pictures? and basic dimensions?

do you have some close up pictures? and basic dimensions?
Sorry I wasnt subscribed to the thread and didnt receive a notification that you replied. I am now.

I finished replacing the horrible leadscrew bushing end cap or whatever it is called with 2 ball bearings. 2 BB's might have been overkill but the leadscrew flexed so much that I wanted to support as much of it as I could. I'll get pics up soon. Any particular dimensions you are looking for ?

I cant figure out how to upload photos from photobucket. Sorry. I'm still trying to figure it out

Back