Canadian Shipping Costs/estimate

NavyShooter

Registered
Registered
Goodday all,

I've pretty much settled on buying a PM 1030 lathe from Precision Matthews, the question right now is the final price-tag with shipping and all included.

Matt (PM guy?) responded promptly to some e-mail queries I sent, and he has indicated that shipping for the lathe will run me $249.

That said, I'm wondering what the 'to my door' price will end up being.

I did some magic math, and for the lathe, with accessories (and base) I'm looking at $2597.97. Which comes out to $3265.01 in Canuck bucks (0.80 exchange rate)

Add in the shipping at $249 ($313 Cdn) and I'm up to $3578 Canuck bucks at the border.

CBSA responded to me indicating that it'd be HST on the cost of the item that I'd be paying, no duties...so in Nova Scotia, that's 15%, which is $489, so that rounds up to $4067 to my door.

Are there any 'other' brokerage fees or anything that I'm likely to encounter that I should factor in? (Based on your experience shipping to a Canadian destination?)

Of note, I did a price comparison between the PM 1030 and the CX706 at Busy Bee (10x22) and the Busy Bee lathe comes up at $3653, or about $500 less.

However, that $500 gets me:
-QCTP already installed (and t-slot cross-slide)
-DC Variable Speed Motor
-An extra 8" on the bed

I am SORELY tempted to pull the trigger, as I understand PM has their 1030's instock right now.

I just want to go in eyes wide-open with an awareness of what I'm going to end up paying.

Thanks,

NavyShooter

- unless you have handled the BB lathe and figure you will like it, I would suggest you keep looking. Thomas Skinner, PM, Grizzly and others have better faire; I think the fit and finish of the BB lathe is terrible.

Buy the best quality you can afford right at the start - cheaper than replacing it later!

Exchange rates and tax (and shipping in this case) makes any purchase rather bitter. Soon forgotten however once you start using the machine.
I think you have covered all the expenses involved. I'm with Dabbler, (the old cry once approach). The extra 500$ for the PM is worth it to me, most stuff is more expensive when bought seperately. Good luck and please let us know what you settle for.

Go with the PM. Look at tooling as a fixed cost, no matter what machine you get it will cost the same. Tooling will cost you as much as the lathe over time so do not worry about it.
I was looking at a PM machine a few years ago but a local was selling a clone of the Jet BDB1340A for $1500 so I took that. I already had much tooling that I had bought in the previous 20 years to go with the Atlas 10", I sold the Atlas for $600 to make room for the new lathe. Now I am thinking of selling this one to go down a to a 24" CtoC and free up some space. I did change the chinese motor to a VFD with a TechTop 2 hp invertor rated motor which is just fantastic! Going from a 4 way TP or Lantern TP to a QCTP is so much better! Set the tool height and forget it. No shims etc.

IMG_0558_CR2_shotwell.jpg

Have you check the King Industrial 12 x 36 I picked one up a few years ago for $3500 CDN tax in

Talk to Matt about brokerage. When I bought my mill from him he handled the brokerage and taxes for me for a very small fee. The machine arrived here in Edmonton with no extra costs, all i had to do was,pick it up at the trucking depot

Have you check the King Industrial 12 x 36 I picked one up a few years ago for $3500 CDN tax in

KMS has the King 12x36 on sale right now for $3999, so taking a guess at shipping of $300 (about what it costs for the PM shipping) that's $4300, which, with 15% HST brings me up to $4945, but, it comes with the added cost of me having to get a 220V run setup...to my shop...(which I have to do eventually, but was hoping to do next year not now.)

I'm limited to a 120V machine for now.

Ok,

So this is the basic table that I've put together. My 'minimum' standard is a 22" lathe, so I did not consider larger than that.

I have a target price-point of $4000 Canadian.

My power available in the shop is 120V AC.

I would really LIKE a lathe longer than 22", and I would like to have a variable speed with slow RPM capability for threading.

Here's my basic criteria. The DRO lathes were included just for S&G consideration...down the road. I will note that PM has a 2 axis DRO pack for $400 US that I can look at.

Lathe Options.jpg

The prices for the 'included' items were sourced from the company's website that I was looking at.

The 1030 meets my criteria, has an included/installed QCTP, hits the low RPM range, and is within a hundred bucks of my price-point.

The only question I have is what the additional costs for brokerage will add to that...am I looking at $100? Am I looking at $400?

Thanks!

NS

It cost me $150 to run a 240v outlet in my shop but I already had a 30 amp electrical panel in the shop, the point is ,it's not likely to cost a lot to have 220v, ask one of the local electricians to give you an estimate on the phone,they will have a couple of basic questions like what type/size panel do you have at home,or whether the shop in attached/detached,etc..

This is the invoice form my PM932 mill. It should give you an idea what the import and handling charges will be.

PM32 mill invoice.jpeg

Back