Can't remove bit

SE18

Active User
Registered
I used 2 strap wrenches to try to get this bit out; then put it in vice and used channels to no effect. Guess I should have bought a holder with a key but this is a twist holder. Any way to remove this bit would be a bit of good news for me. Thanks

thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: bfk
Will that hole in the side of the chuck accept a tommy bar, preferably a long one?

Tom

I had a stuck drill chuck like yours, i used pipe pliers to open it, hitting the jaws one by one with a small punch helped a lot.

What is the make of that chuck? A lot of good keyless chucks will not hole the bit if the direction of the chuck is reversed. You could try and hold the tapered arbor securely and try and turn the bit backwards.

David

Last edited:
I had to use a pipe wrench on mine one time. Really hated to to do that.:eek 2:

Put it back in the spindle to hold it. Then use the correct spanner wrench to grip chuck. You don’t want to mark up the knurling. As you can see a keyless can tighten up on you if overloaded.

And THAT is why you NEVER chuck an S&D drill in a keyless chuck. If you're lucky, it only ruins the shank of the drill. I saw a nice Albrecht chuck destroyed in this fashion. In the shop where I apprenticed, and later in my shop, chucking an S&D drill (in any chuck) was a firing offense. Hold 'em in a collet or get a Morse taper shank drill.

Put a block of wood on the end of the drill bit and give it a couple good solid wacks with a dead blow hammer and it should loosen right up .

I haven't ever had a Chuck over tighten on my lathe , but my Makita cordless drill needs that done almost every time I use the hammer function

The other thing to remember is never push the bit all the way in. The jaws have to retract into the chuck to release the bit and if the it's touching the bottom they cant move back.

I have several Albrecht chucks and they will tighten like that when using too large of a bit, and they are hard to release the bit without marring up the chuck. Anything over 1/2" I use a keyed Jacobs.

Back