Can't remove chuck from flange (mini-lathe)

The_Apprentice

Registered
Registered
Boy, is my newbieness showing here or what?

My understanding was one only needs to unscrew the three nuts behind the flange on any chinese lathe, and then you can slide out the chuck to replace with another, 4-jaw or collet type.

Here is the problem, I undid the three screws, and the washers slide out easily too. Problem is, the chuck itself wont budge! It's like it's been locktited or welded down. No play whatsoever.

Maybe I am missing something here, or maybe things were out-of-tollerance during manufacturing so they just FORCE FITTED things together.

I tried unloosening the chuck jaws just in case there was some hidden safety-feature to prevent unleasing of the chuck accidentally. LOL.

My next solution is to try to use a soft hammer and hit the chuck loose or something, but I don't think this is safe for the lathe... Suggestions?

This may be a stupid question but this chuck bolts to a face plate from the back?

Here's a picture of what the current situation looks like. I've loosened all three nuts, and there is not even a mm of play on the chuck. Can't seem to get it to budge...

Is there a taper? If it is like an A , L or D spindle it may take a good whack with a soft mallet to unseat the taper.

I run a lathe with a D spindle nose, there are 6 chucks and a face plate that I use, half will come right off after the cams are loose and some take quite a whack to unseat, none of them will fall off.

20inchplate.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's just a tight flange to the chuck, try a few whacks with a chunk of wood like a piece of 2x4, it should come loose. Keep the nuts in place but loose so the chuck doesn't fall off on to the ways and dent them. A piece of wood on the ways for protection is a good idea also. Chuck a piece of broomstick or large dowel and pull on it while you rap with your 2x4- use the two handed technique
You might also try prying with a screwdriver between the end of the studs and a piece of wood or aluminum placed against the headstock. Be gentle.
Mark S.
ps penetrating oil might help too, and perhaps a bit of heat from a hair dryer or lamp

Last edited:
On my Atlas that backing plate mounts to the chuck with bolts and is itself threaded onto the spindle. (Course it's a 1942, so...) Anyway, you lock the spindle and unscrew the whole issue using a piece of wood or copper between the jaws. May want to find a manual on line if you don't have one to find out how yours comes apart.

The chuck fits on a 80mm inset. The only thing holding it is the 3 stud nuts. Leave the nuts loose and give it a whack with a compo-thane(dead blow) hammer or mallet. An easy way to hold the chuck against the spindle is to use the carriage to prevent the chuck from falling forward as the nuts come loose. I've never seen one with washers under the nuts. If those are lock washers they may have upset the metal around the studs causing it to grip the studs. Don't use lock washers. Hardened washers would be ok, but an added pain for big fingers.

If you need a manual you can download it from harbor freight. All the 7x10/12s are the same.

Roy

+1 on light whacking the chuck with the deadblow soft hammer, it will pop right off

you may wanna mark the chuck and the spindle flange to allow for easy reassembly into the same location

Last edited:
Back