Can't remove Woodruff Key

lesrhorer

Registered
Registered
I purchased a power feed to use with my Central Machinery 6 x 26 knee mill. Now I need to remove the 5mm Woodruff Key on the lead screw in order to slide the unit onto the lead screw. The problem is, I can't get the key out of the slot! I have tried locking a pair of vice grip pliers on the key and pulling as hard as I can. I also tried giving the pliers a fairly good little tap with a hammer. I don't want to beat hard on the pliers or the key itself because of the danger of damaging the lead screw. Does anyone have any ideas? I am also rather reticent to heat the shaft with a torch for the same reason. There is a hole in the end of the lead screw, but I don't see anything in there that looks like it might be retaining the key in some way.

Is there some magic I don't know? What is the safest way to proceed? I suppose I could split the key with a Dremel saw, but what a pain!

Last edited:
If it is a true woodruff half moon, you should be able to tap each end to rock it in the slot.
I tried that. I can't see if it is a half-moon or rectangular. It's lodged very securely.

A little heat, like with a mini butane torch, right on the key would release any possible retaining compound. Then a sharp chisel tapped in between the end of key and shaft or as mentioned above. Theses are sometimes a pain!
Aaron

A little heat, like with a mini butane torch, right on the key would release any possible retaining compound. Then a sharp chisel tapped in between the end of key and shaft or as mentioned above. Theses are sometimes a pain!
Aaron
You know what? I thought about heat, but my mind was on my acetelyne welding torch. I do have one of the mini-butane torches. It didn't even cross my mind. I'll try that.

If the heat doesn't work, the key has probably swaged itself into the slot. If you can't hammer it out, the the Dremel is probably your only choice.

Try gentle heat and some penetrating solvent like liquid wrench, plus the side cutting plier trick
-Mark

Last edited:
Back