Can't Thread Finer Than 28TPI on LMS3540/Sieg SC4 Lathe?

Hi Guys,

I'm sure that I've seen somewhere that someone had made a new banjo/banjo's for his lathe. I know that there is at least one design for a replacement banjo for my lathe. The slot is about 12 mm (1/2") too short to fit certain gears. To be honest, I don't remember what the gear size was, other than it was one in the chain. I do remember that in order to use the 127 tooth gear, you can't close the cover, but it doesn't protrude like the one in your picture.

I don't see how that could be my problem. It's not that the gear wasn't far enough out on the banjo, it's that there is mechanical interference out there. If the gear couldn't reach where it's going, that's one thing, but on the SC4 the problem was the gear was hitting something else, the drive gear (for the 32 pitch) or that enclosure (for the 40 pitch).

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't say ! I have a Myford S7LB with a gearbox and power cross slide.
Myford supply a new modified banjo for use, it comes with the metric conversion kit. Basically it is longer in the curved slot to allow it to move slightly further round.

I've done a number of searches on the SC4 without finding the info that I wanted to pass on.
I wonder if ARC Euro could help. They seem to be the Sieg UK experts.

Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't say ! I have a Myford S7LB with a gearbox and power cross slide.
Myford supply a new modified banjo for use, it comes with the metric conversion kit. Basically it is longer in the curved slot to allow it to move slightly further round.

I've done a number of searches on the SC4 without finding the info that I wanted to pass on.
I wonder if ARC Euro could help. They seem to be the Sieg UK experts.
I am curious to see how the Myford banjo looks. You mentioned that it is curved in the slotted section. Do you have a picture by chance or maybe you can find one online. I did search for one but cannot find any. Maybe I’m using the wrong search terms

Hi Guys,

I've taken mine off so that I can photograph it.

Banjo-002.jpg
You will notice that the pins for the gears are in fixed positions. Myford made another banjo for this model lathe that is part of what they called "Metric conversion Kit".

This is exactly what my idea is. I didnt even know this existed. In my opinion, this would fix the issue of having the change gears sticking out of the cover. The lower slot would have the change gears and one of the extra smaller gears would be used as an idler. Sieg does not offer such a part.
I wonder if a dual-arm banjo would solve this for you. Of course, you would have to make one (unless Seig has one) but it might solve this issue. Might ask LMS if such an option is available. Looks sort of like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-ORIGI...565840?hash=item4683c6f8d0:g:wZcAAOSwgq9bgbpd

Last edited:
I like this idea. So, in the first link you posted, the gears on the bottom is where the banjo goes ? The banjo fastens behind the large wide gear ?
Hi Guys,

I've taken mine off so that I can photograph it.

View attachment 274508
You will notice that the pins for the gears are in fixed positions. Myford made another banjo for this model lathe that is part of what they called "Metric conversion Kit".

Sieg does not offer such a part.

Doesn't look like it would be hard to copy, or change slightly and copy.

I'd need to do some accurately dimensioned drawings to see how it would allow everything to work and keep all the gears inside the enclosure.

This is what the Emco banjo looks like:

Emco Banjo.PNG

Hope it gives you some ideas.

Back