Carbide Grinder

dlane

Active User
Registered
thinking of making a cheep and dirty carbide grinder to touch up cemented carbide lathe tools,
Picked up a gear motor 115v, 4000, 250, 5, rpm , thinking of useing the HF 4" diamond disk on the 4000 shaft and green rubberized cratex 3" wheel on the 250 shaft , with an adjustable tool rest
image.jpeg
The motor is to the right of the ari cylinders , the 4000 rpm shaft is out the end of it , the 250 ,5 is off the gear end , sorry the pic is kinda cluttered, lots of future projects.
image.jpeg
I'll get a better pic of motor in a while
Any advice
Thanks

Last edited:
Derrick, I did the same thing about a year ago. I used a 1/15 hp 3250 rpm motor for mine. It is my go to for sharpening carbide and the final dressing of HSS tool bits and it works well for dressing TIG tungstens. The one improvement that I am considering is a stiffening disk as there is some flex in use.

The delta is 3750 the disk backing plate has a little runout I should be able to get that out and screw on the diamond Disk to the arbor with the backing behind it.
Thanks for the heads up RJ

Hi dlane. I didn't know that those rubberized abrasive wheels can sharpen carbide tools. Do they work pretty well?

I've Ben told they do , they kinda polish them after sharpening with diamond wheel. I got them and a bunch of other stuff from Sunnyvale a couple days ago it was a CL add.

hey Derrick,
i'll bet ya the delta sanding unit would be a real good place to start.
you already have a platform that tilts, & the motor is already present.
all you need to do is adapt the wheel to the stub of the old sanding disc drive :)

I like a good Meatball or Sausage grinder myself, but then we all have different tastes. Sorry, I'm laid up with a broken ankle and trying to amuse myself. Go with the Delta, everything is already there. Watch the speed though.

"Billy G"

Hi Diane. I love Cratex for deburring and spot cleanup. Thanks for the tip on sharpening. Looks like you're a neighbor.

Back