Carbide inserts ~ lathe size

My two cents, I here a lot of talk about geometry of inserts in this thread and other threads in home machining boards. Also a lot of praise for HSS tooling. From the first day years ago I stepped on a shop until today I’ve used some sort of carbide tooling, from braised on to indexable inserts.

One thing stick out in my mind, back in the late 70’s we attended a presentation at Eaton from a Valentine insert engineer, the 3 things he preached were speeds,feeds,and depth of cut.

Manny times I shown, explained and been told that inserts and tools that are positive rake like industry uses will not work at home shops on our little lathes. I’ve called BS more times than I could count. I’ve used CNMG 432 inserts in holders on my last two lathes. The one I did this with was a 9 x 20 Lathemaster, that I used a standard MCLNR 164 holder with a dovetail machined into the tool holder. My present lathe is a Grizzly G0750g 12 x 32. 90% of the tooling are dovetailed direct fit tooling that I modified to fit the QCTP.

My biggest limitation is HP not rigidly, that controls my depth of cut. I’ve had great results with the tooling package I use and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone

In fact I have a gentleman locally I’m mentioning who I picked up a MCLNL 164 on EBay for under $10 plus shipping, we just finished dovetailing it and installed the adjuster so he could use it on his Smitty.

Below is my go to turning tool
56a3e8cf928f573960ed26faa9089ebc.jpg

Here is a few more while I was working on them
2f5f57048bffafe42ccf780807f29466.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never seen anyone do that before! Very creative

Back