Carbide Round-over Bits

They work well on the lathe also. Whiteside 1" radius 2-flute. This is 7075 Aluminum - I wouldn't attempt an interrupted cut like this in SS, but for continuous contact profiling, a carbide router bit can be just the ticket.
Isn't a spinning router bit always performing an interrupted cut?

Would someone like to volunteer for a purchase, and flat rate shipping on my dime with PayPal, or Venmo? Won't ship to Hawaii, again. Sheesh
And in the ultimate irony, those bits are being shipped in a Speedpak from China.

I've been using the 1/8" radius cutter quite a bit in prehardened 4140 lately. It's holding up fine, but I thought it best to have a backup. Then I realized I should have some other sizes.

Oddly, this set skips 1/4", but I already have that one.
Never tried this.
I’ll have to play around with the idea.

My woodworking shop has a profile grinder used to make HSS knives for the molder & shapers. I use the short leftovers as stock to make metal working tooling. I silver solder pieces onto shanks or mount them into arbors similar to a fly cutter. They cut aluminum and mild steel just fine. I also use the carbide from inserted molder knives* when they are worn down or get broken. It silver solders just fine. * 9" long fine corrugations on the back. I have a tool & cutter grinder to shape them.

The set in MrWhoopee’s post came today. By visual inspection they look great…if not for the color, they could be Freud or Whiteside.

I've been using the 1/8" radius cutter quite a bit in prehardened 4140 lately. It's holding up fine, but I thought it best to have a backup. Then I realized I should have some other sizes.

Oddly, this set skips 1/4", but I already have that one.
I received my set of six back in the end of August. Just used the 3/16" R on a Delrin part: after some cautious testing on scrap, I ended up doing each of the corners in a single, full-bite conventional milling pass & a climb milling spring pass:

Extension Plate.jpg
I did wait to put the holes in until after I rounded the corners; and I wouldn't try

The nicest part of using the router bit was setting it up: touch off on the end of the part with the bearing to set X-zero, then the top with the bottom of the top tip to set Z-zero, then just nibble away on Y until you get to X-zero: not as finicky as a regular corner rounding end mill.

Back