Carbide Tipped Lathe Center

From the pictures I see here and on many others using grinders on there lathes , they don't worry about the debree from grinding getting into the ways and becoming lapping compound wearing the metal down. Is it me that's just to careful or am I wrong , I was always taught to protect from grinding dust and sanding debree . Maybe they wash down I don't know but I cringe seeing it done. Then they wonder why ,, my LATHES not cutting right.

As a stone cutter I share the sentiment, but it's not exactly an irreversible condition, the machine can be cleaned easily before any wear of note happens.

I read about tungsten poisoning. Pretty rare actually. I thought this was really cool:
Bottom line- don't rinse your rifle barrels in wine and then drink it!
Robert

Note to self...
Do Not drink the juice poured from a howitzer barrel! :beer:

Nice work Robert on the center, looks great!:)

That is a good point about the grinding dust on the lathe ways. I usually cover all the ways with a rag for protection. I have not found a good way to keep dust out of the chuck. I just blow it off when finished.
I am gratified that people found the Tungsten poisoning event as interesting as I did!
Robert

I used an cutoff grinder in my lathe yesterday to spit some double ended milling cutters in half so I could use them. How I cleaned the chuck off was spraying it well with brake cleaner, blowing it with an air nozzle IHMO defeats the purpose of way covering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back