CARBIDE TOOLING???

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I believe these are carbide tools that came with my mini lathe, thier 3/8 x 2/3/8 and fit perfect in the tool holder. thiers some writing that sez ar6 C6 on all of them
whatever that means..................
anayway i heard some guys like'm and some dont, whatever. as you can see thier flat on the work end, so dont know if thats thier on purpose or something needs to be done for use. they seem to be good so would like to use them if possible

Attachments

• 100_3544.JPG
    100_3544.JPG
    361.1 KB · Views: 50
Those are just standard right hand 3/8 shank (ar6), carbide grade C6, good for general cutting.

Normally they need a bit of touch up before use. They never seem to be ground quite correctly, need more front and side clearance.

The three tools that I can see are for cutting right to left. To supply a very poor similie, using carbide tools on your lathe would be like putting a Chrysler Hemi on a tricycle. It might fit, but it would be wasted.

You need a heavy duty motor high revolutions and and a heavy lathe on a solid foundation.

Carbide is great for production, heavy cuts, high rpm, etc. Hobbyists are not after 100 parts per hour, (or whatever) which is what carbide is good for.

I remember a three spindle Gisholt machine in a factory I worked in, turning disc brakes, spraying cast iron chips to the next production line across the aisle. Yes there were shields, but there were gaps in them, too. I don't know how fast the spindles were turning, but as the tools (two roughers, two finishers) approached the end of their cuts, the machines almost doubled the RPM to keep a constant surface feed. These carbide cutters would last an entire shift, the machines turning out 1600 parts per shift. I know, I ran a manual balance downstream from one of them for a week. Balanced every part.

sounds like we best keep using the 1/4 inserts and HSS

Last edited:
Your included brazed on carbide C6 tools will be fine for cutting aluminum and brass on a low HP lathe - if you make the cutting surface and corner sharp with a diamond file. For cutting steel in a mini lathe, HSS will give you a lot better results, once you get the knack of making the angles right for the job.

Your included brazed on carbide C6 tools will be fine for cutting aluminum and brass on a low HP lathe - if you make the cutting surface and corner sharp with a diamond file. For cutting steel in a mini lathe, HSS will give you a lot better results, once you get the knack of making the angles right for the job.
good point .........I got these with the lathe and hate throwing anything away that can be used.. Seeing as the cutting ends are flat be nice to know how to make them usable, dont have a problem doing it just dont know how........

Last edited:
You will need a green silicon carbide wheel to sharpen them. There are some examples of tool designs on this forum. The simple way to think of it for staring out is make sure the cutting edge makes contact with your part and nothing else. Think of how it will sit I. Your holder on center in the lathe. What direction it will travel and grind away clearance so the cutting edge hits the work. There is more to it but that is a basic start.

seeing as the cutting ends are flat be nice to know how to make them usable,
Instead of placing the left side square with work, lean it a bit to the right, so the back of the front edge is away from the work. Us another tool to face the finished face.

Or ignore the premade and unfinished carbide tools and grind a usable HHS tool.

You will need a green silicon carbide wheel to sharpen them. There are some examples of tool designs on this forum. The simple way to think of it for staring out is make sure the cutting edge makes contact with your part and nothing else. Think of how it will sit I. Your holder on center in the lathe. What direction it will travel and grind away clearance so the cutting edge hits the work. There is more to it but that is a basic start.
need to clarify, the carbide piece is flush with the tool itself, so your saying the carbide needs to protrude from the tool?? if so by how much?

Not necessarily protrude. Just be the leading edge. Don’t have to grind much. Check out the pic and how this contacts the part you would be cutting.

Edit add: the more you sharpen it the more the carbide will blend with the tool it was braised to. Eventually I will grind away all the blue paint under that carbide edge and it will just be a curve from the grinding wheel from carbide tip to tool bottom. Both on the side you are looking at and the front edge you can’t see against the round bar being cut.

Attachments

• 8D083849-9D3D-4110-B57D-F76FA3AD35C6.jpeg
    8D083849-9D3D-4110-B57D-F76FA3AD35C6.jpeg
    651.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back