CARBIDE TOOLING???

I bought a couple of these and tried them. I went back to HSS and indexable carbide pretty quickly!

I did use one until it was dull. I do not have nor plan on getting a green (silicon carbide) wheel, so I am sticking with HSS and indexable carbide.

For your sized lathe, working with HSS tool bits will provide the smoothest ride possible.

Not necessarily protrude. Just be the leading edge. Don’t have to grind much. Check out the pic and how this contacts the part you would be cutting.

Edit add: the more you sharpen it the more the carbide will blend with the tool it was braised to. Eventually I will grind away all the blue paint under that carbide edge and it will just be a curve from the grinding wheel from carbide tip to tool bottom. Both on the side you are looking at and the front edge you can’t see against the round bar being cut.
If im right looks like I need to grind away the red tool itself to expose the carbide

Last edited:
I only use those for heavy interrupted cuts on rough hard material

I switched from HSS to these inexpensive inserts and holders:

They work great on my South Bend 9A even at low RPM like in the 200's

You can buy the set or individual holders. I buy the inserts by the box of 10 each on aliexpress for $4-5/box

I only use HSS for form tools and where very fine cut is needed (<.003")

I bought a couple of these and tried them. I went back to HSS and indexable carbide pretty quickly!

I did use one until it was dull. I do not have nor plan on getting a green (silicon carbide) wheel, so I am sticking with HSS and indexable carbide.

For your sized lathe, working with HSS tool bits will provide the smoothest ride possible.
I hear ya, have been using indexable thats been working out real good, but still waiting on the 1/4 HSS to show up.........were still gonna mess with these red carbide ones for the expereince

If im right looks like I need to grind away the tool itself to expose the carbide

All in how you look at it. The carbide braised on is the “tool” the mild steel it is braised to is just the holder. You will shape the carbide tool as needed and grind away as much of the tool holder as needed to give you the relief you need from what you are turning. Very similar to inserts and holders except the insert holder is already perfectly shaped as is the insert itself. For these you are doing the shaping of both parts together.

I only use those for heavy interrupted cuts on rough hard material

I switched from HSS to these inexpensive inserts and holders:

They work great on my South Bend 9A even at low RPM like in the 200's

You can buy the set or individual holders. I buy the inserts by the box of 10 each on aliexpress for $4-5/box

I only use HSS for form tools and where very fine cut is needed (<.003")
Ive been looking at those from that seller, how long did they take to show up??

All in how you look at it. The carbide braised on is the “tool” the mild steel it is braised to is just the holder. You will shape the carbide tool as needed and grind away as much of the tool holder as needed to give you the relief you need from what you are turning. Very similar to inserts and holders except the insert holder is already perfectly shaped as is the insert itself. For these you are doing the shaping of both parts together.
sorry, that was clear as mud.........................so what I need to do is grind away the red part so the carbide part is exposed ........... I say that cuzz the carbide piece is flush with the shank so it must need to protrude some for cutting

Banggood is usually 2-4weeks but they charge more. Aliexpress is the cheapest but shipping is from 2-8weeks with maybe 5-10% never arriving.
I track all my orders with a reminder when they should arrive to ensure I get a refund before it's too late.
Some of Aliexpress tooling gets sent quickly from Canada/USA warehouses but there's no way to know.

Ive been looking at those from that seller, how long did they take to show up??
I have been a machinist for over 60 years. Look closely at my avatar and you can see the form tools I hand ground to form the balls inside the cube. So I know how to ground tool bits. The carbide tools you show should be ground before using. But that said you can use both carbide and hss tools in your lathe. For most facing and turning I use carbide. But I also use hss often. Many home shop machinist never learn how to sharpen carbide so they don’t like or use it.
Jim

sorry, that was clear as mud.........................so what I need to do is grind away the red part so the carbide part is exposed ........... I say that cuzz the carbide piece is flush with the shank so it must need to protrude some for cutting
Sorry I am not doing a better job helping here. Your red carbide tools from your original pic are just like the blue one in my pic only smaller. They will need to be ground before first use. Just like a new chunk of HSS you have to grind it before first use. Yours look like they have some angle not totally flush and yes you will remove some of the red and blend the Carbide tool into other Metal when grinding. Essentially you are grinding it just like a HSS tool. Think of it as all one piece but unlike HSS when the carbide portion is all ground up the rest you just throw away. HSS you can use to the very end.

Edit added link - if you jump to 40:00 minute point in this video you can see me grinding the blue tool from my earlier pic. Maybe that will help more than my pic.

Last edited:
Back