Carcano project

I have added another dimension to this project. Making the stock. In looking for a stock none of the usual sources mention carcano stocks. They can probably make one with extra charges for set up and who knows how long it would be to get it. I was thinking about a laminated stock anyway Gluing about bunch of wood together is no big deal. Minimal cost compared to buying a stock. Am I a cheap SOB. I prefer to think that I am frugal. Been watching some videos and reading online about making a stock. Doesn't seem hard to do. Just time consuming. Besides I get to make/buy some special chisels. More tools is always a plus.

In searching for some parts for the trigger guard I discovered that carcanos have a separate recoil lug. I had always thought that the recoil lug on the receiver looked kind of small compared to other receivers. I was all set to buy one. Had it in the cart and ready to click buy. Would have been a little over $20. I thought to myself why don't I make one. I have everything I need. Isn't this why I have all these machines in my garage. To make gun stuff.

Had some free time today. Took a couple of hours to make one. On a scale of 1 to 10 it is a 7. One thing that I have discovered about these receivers is that there was a lot of handwork resulting in irregular surfaces. I will use thickened epoxy of some kind to bed the recoil lug to the receiver to fill in the small gaps. It is just sitting on the receiver in the picture to give an idea of where it fits.

IMG_4061.JPG

Back