Careful With the Flammables!

I take it you were using smokeless. Might not have been so lucky with black powder.
DAVE

Right! It was smokeless, bit of a misnomer really because there was a considerable amount of smoke.

A old friend of mine has muzzle loader hunted for a least 45 years.
Last fall for some unknown reason he used a ball puller to remove a ball and then put the wad and powder in a ash. Tray!!few minutes later put a cig. In same ash tray .not good burnt the crap out of a couple of his fingers.
I’ll never no why, this guy is really safety conscious. He was in his shop.
Ron

My closest call... I was welding in my shop... Lifted my helmet to
check my weld. The floor was wet. I was thinking I left the water on.
Thought I would finish welding before I checked it out. Then I smelled it...
GAS!.... Here a hot bead of weld rolled 40 feet across the shop and
came to stop under my plastic gas can. If I would have lowered my
helmet and struck the rod I bet I would not be telling this story.
No more gas cans in the weld shop... I did two things that I should
not have done. One I shut the welder off... Two while running out
of the shop I snapped on the fan switch. Got lucky... Nothing happened.

@KBeitz, WOW! That was a BIG close call. Thanks for sharing.

I'll pile on with one fire story (there are more) from my childhood.
Back then, turpentine and paint thinner came in 1 gallon GLASS jugs. It seems crazy now but, it was the convention then.
So, naturally, my Dad kept gasoline, for the lawn mower, in one of the (previously) turpentine jugs.
Both of my parents worked so, on summer days, my neighbor kids and I were free to screw up from time to time.
This time, burning some gasoline seemed like a good idea.
To the area behind our patio wall, I took the ,probably 1/4 full, jug and poured some gasoline into a coffee can lid sitting on the dirt.
I lit it and that seemed neat for a few seconds, until the flame started to diminish.
Now the stuff hits the fan.
To keep the fun going, I decided to add some more gas to the lid.
Yep! You guessed it. The flame traveled up the stream of gas and into the jug.
I can still remember the sight of that flame roiling around inside the jug and thinking it would certainly explode.
I threw the jug away from us, which served to widely disperse flaming gasoline into dried weeds until the jug came to rest.
OH NUTS!
Now I had set the whole place on fire.
We kids scattered to get fire fighting equipment like shovels, rakes and a garden hose.
Luckily, the house next door was being painted so a couple of adults pitched in to help avert tragedy.
pretty quickly the flame were out, the danger passed but, now there was an obvious scorched mess behind my back yard.
I needed to destroy the evidence so, I spent the rest of the day working my young butt off razing all undesirable plant growth and raking clean the, probably, 2000 SF area of our property behind the patio wall.
When my parents got home, they were surprised, pleased and thankful that I had been such a good boy and done that yard work without it even being suggested.
I'm not sure which emoji is best here, so I'll just go with . . . :grin:.

I can see the mineral spirits can fall over and run down the driveway to your neighbors truck and the truck exploding and sending sparks into your neighbors home and a few more homes on the block, and you standing there, explaining it to your insurance company as the homes collapse, and asking if perhaps you're covered. :concerned:

We have what was once a lousy gun safe made from 1/4 plate we got for 5 bucks that is the vault for fuels...somfay we will install it outside...keeps field safe from stupid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back