Carr Fire Hits Close to Home

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The Carr Fire in Redding,CA has hit close to home. Our daughter, son-in law, and our two oldest granddaughters live in Redding, CA. Yesterday afternoon they were ordered to evacuate immediately. Their house was directly in the path of the fire and is probably no longer standing. They and several of their friends are huddled in our house (still in the escrow process) northeast of town. If the fire jumps Interstate 5 our house could be in jeopardy as well. We are praying that the firefighters get control of the fire soon.

Oh, man. So sorry, hope you get through this ok.

This is the biggest risk we face in Nevada City...

Tom, I was thinking about you and your family while watching the news. It is a terrible thing but at least you know they are safe for now. We will hope for the best and keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

good luck to all of you and fingers crossed the wind changes/ rain comes. Hopefully the damage isn't as bad as you fear.

Sorry to hear the news, Tom.

My girlfriend is an engineer with CAL FIRE. I can tell you they're pulling out just about all the stops right now. Last night a dozer operator was killed, the second one on this fire so far. Another crew was burned over when the fire shifted unexpectedly, injuring a few more. The fire is currently just under 45,000 acres and only 3% contained. Prepare for the worst so you and yours can safely get away if need be. I've worked a lot of wildfire recovery/disaster response, so I'm familiar with the impact losing everything can have on folks. Keeping yourself and your loved ones safe is the most important thing.

Thank you all for your kind words of support. Today was a better day. Our kid's house was spared. Unfortunately only ten homes out of seventy to eighty in their neighborhood survived. In other parts of the county entire neighborhoods are no longer. Our kid's are lucky but there are so many of our friends and others that have lost everything. I feel for them.

The Carr fire has claimed two FF. Unreal footage and devastation. Best of luck to you Tom and all in the Reading area.

The Carr fire has claimed two FF. Unreal footage and devastation. Best of luck to you Tom and all in the Reading area.

One of the firefighters died fighting the fire in our daughter's neighbor. He gave his life to save someone's home. Words cannot adequately relay the feeling of gratefulness for what these people do.

In a state that large wouldn't you think there would be more of the planes and helicopters that scoop up water and drop on fires . Must be away to starve or drown a fire that size . Why not , we can do anything if we try.

Back