Carriage/Cross slide aux feed motor?

guitarman0023

Registered
Registered
Just wanted to see if any of you have done this to slow the feed rate down a little. I think the best two versions I've see were a mig welder motor and a windshield wiper motor. I did a search on the forum, but didn't see any results.

A number of people have done this but I can't quote any details. Try searching thread titles for something like Atlas Feed Rate. Or if you just want to slow the feed rate down 2:1, you can also introduce a reduction on the change gear bracket. For example, put a 20T gear behind the 40T Sliding Gear (it will no longer slide) and add an idler driven by the 20T that's large enough to drive the rear 48T gear that drives the QCGB, without the 40T touching the front 48T. There was a thread a few months ago on doing this. Except that I seem to remember that he used one of the 48T in place of the 40T with a 24T behind it. And used the 24T to drive the remaining 48T. I don't recall what he used as a spacer in place of the front 48T.

Last edited:
A while ago i fitted a wiper motor to my 7x12 lead screw and i have found it a excellent mod it has behaved perfectly . and has enough power to operate a far larger lathe. I think it is on this forum . but I will attach the PDF any way.
always here to help. Brian.

Attachments

• Power Lead screw for 7x12 lathes.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
If you cant download from here go to my web site ( see bottom of this page ) and down load for free.

Stupid as hell, I stuck a socket on the end of a 20v max drill. Steadier than hand but no real accuracy on feedrate.

Back