Carriage Lock Options Titan Tl180

If you're just using this during facing operations could you run the tailstock against the carriage or make a piece to go between it using the tailstock as your lock?

Possibly, nice to have the tail stock well out of the work area if not required. These mini lathes are a bit tight on space. For the time being I'll use that little brass stop I made while I think up something better. Reminds me the other item that would really pay off is a couple or three longer style MT2 dead centres.

I just looked at this one on Youtube:

Looks pretty simple to implement and it seems to work rather well. Worth a look maybe?

Looks to be the answer for sure. As you have seen in the photos it is about time the lathe got a strip down and good clean anyway. Thanks.

The 8x14s lock isn't obvious either but it does have one. This is a typical mod.
http://www.machinistblog.com/carriage-lock-modification-for-8x12-or-8x14-lathe/

Basically the saddle clamp plate is slit and when you tighten down the bolt, it squeezes the bed and locks the carriage. It looks like you could do the same thing on the 7x14, but you would need to do it from the bottom by making a long stud that sticks down.

The pics I saw of the SeigC2 show a gib that runs the length of the saddle that would prevent the 8X lock from being implemented - not sure about the Titan version, though.

The one in the YouTube video is a perfect match for the Titan TL180

Job done. :)

As you can see it is as per the YouTube video, Thanks for finding that Mike.

Bit of a chew on the countersink start, the 2nd clamp decided to let fly a thread at just the wrong moment. Lucky I didn't snap the cutter. Cosmetic thank goodness.

New Carriage lock.jpg

So, does it solve the problem of backwards creep?

Glad you got that worked out, c60. It looks really solid - good job!

Reactions: c60
Back