Carriage screws missing or ??...

56type

Registered
Registered
Took my Atlas 10100 Mk.2 carriage off yesterday to clear a thin metal ribbon that I wasn't able to catch with the chip brush before it tried to make it's way into the half nuts. In doing so I noticed that the carriage bearing plates (part #26 on parts diagram) on each side were missing a screw. Having just bought a mostly stripped carriage off ebay, I noticed it too was missing the same two screws in the same location, middle of the bearing plate (??). Looking at a YT video on the restoration of one gray colored Atlas 10100 Mk.2 it looked as if at the 3:00 min. point the carriage bearing plates has 3 screws that are being removed...

So my question is after having examined two carriages and finding the same two screws missing in the same location (middle hole of each bearing plate)... Did Atlas/Clausing at some point in production decide that only 4 screws were needed to retain the bearing plates to the carriage VS. the 6 screws that are called for in the parts diagram & seen on the resto. video of the gray colored model 10100 Mk.2 ?? Or are the 2 screws just coincidentally missing from the same location on 2 separate carriages ?? Mine is the blue colored model if that helps establish a production date. Thanks.

Mine has all three screws on both sides, I can't see why they would be omitted other than somebody lost them.

John

Mine has all three screws on both sides, I can't see why they would be omitted other than somebody lost them.

John

I thought it may have been a corner cutting measure to simplify production & pacify the bean counters. Though usually if that were the case then the carriage casting wouldn't have been drilled & tapped for the extra screws either, that being said you just never know what someone might come up with to save a few extra cents of production.

Admittedly I have no idea of the factory procedures at the time so thought I'd check in & see what the consensus was on it.

More than likely, it just indicates laziness on the part of the PO's.

Back