Carriage Stop for G4003G

Canyonman44

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I want a Carriage stop to prevent "CRASH". BION Grizzly themselves only has them for their monster lathes. They recommended calling SHARS. No luck there either. My concern is mauling the ways with some junk. Also if it will slip because it is a Gap Bed lathe. Any advice or sources?
Canyonman44 aka Ken

Might you know of plans or maybe I could cut a cardboard template. I have some T6 AL would you think it would be strong enough?

Ken

Aluminum will 'slip' - ask me how I know...
I need to re-do mine to add steel to the bottom piece and redesign it so that it is stronger than the clutch.

@raross61 did one up for his -=- Here -=-

Made a few, most recent is posted below, it is an aluminum body but with a steel foot. You need to test it away from the chuck and adjust the feed clutch tension. If you are using the half nut that is a bit different, you will shear the pin. The ones I made were for a 1340GT, but should be very close in size to what you are looking for. There are a number of different ways to build them. They do sell the micrometer stop through QMT that fits there 1236/1340 lathe models.

Made a few, most recent is posted below, it is an aluminum body but with a steel foot. You need to test it away from the chuck and adjust the feed clutch tension. If you are using the half nut that is a bit different, you will shear the pin. The ones I made were for a 1340GT, but should be very close in size to what you are looking for. There are a number of different ways to build them. They do sell the micrometer stop through QMT that fits there 1236/1340 lathe models.
That's sharp. Also something else I should try to add, a prox switch to shut it off.
I also need to got wider like yours, but unfortunately on mine the ways end at the head so I had to keep it narrow.

Aluminum will 'slip' - ask me how I know...
I need to re-do mine to add steel to the bottom piece and redesign it so that it is stronger than the clutch.

stop.JPG

Ken, this one has an aluminum body and steel locking plate that I'm pretty sure will shear a leadscrew pin. I put the saddle up to it and put a lot of pressure on it and it didn't move so I'm pretty confident it will be fine. Works perfectly as a stop for precision turning and boring but I admit we haven't tested it as crash insurance.

It has a spring under each locking stud so you just loosen the studs and you can slip it on and off the rail. The limit screw can be replaced with a micrometer head if desired.

Works good.

I have been spending some time looking at folks handiwork, which is Excellent BTW, and I think I have found 2 excellent projects. A BallTurner and the carriage stop.

Thanks for sharing your talents Guys (do we have any Gals?) and Gals!

Ken

Mikey, Nice Stop! Is that a piece of Delrin on the end of the threaded rod?

Back