Carriage Stop for G4003G

Mikey, good on you for joining the management team. Management team, good on you for your choice of members. 2020 is looking awesome!

I want a Carriage stop to prevent "CRASH". BION Grizzly themselves only has them for their monster lathes. They recommended calling SHARS. No luck there either. My concern is mauling the ways with some junk. Also if it will slip because it is a Gap Bed lathe. Any advice or sources?
Canyonman44 aka Ken

Whether you crash into the chuck or into a rock solid carriage stop it is still an unwanted crash that will likely cause damage. To prevent crashes why not just have a limit switch on a clamp that is strategically placed to stop the lathe before a crash occurs? This would only be as a backup for a freak lapse of attention at the wrong moment.

However if threading to a shoulder is involved, there are some mechanisms that disengage the half nuts at the right point on every pass. Even so, I find it simpler in this case to run in reverse and thread out from the shoulder with the tool at the back.

A solid clamp on the ways (with or without a micro adjustment) is best used for limiting movement of the carriage by hand so you can feel it stop without crashing it.

Last edited:
Thanks, Ken and Mike. I expect that nothing will change on my part except that if I see somebody being disrespectful to one of our members, I can do something about it.

You could add a switch to your stop that would be wired in series with the machine ESTOP. This way hitting the stop would turn off the machine.

Whether you crash into the chuck or into a rock solid carriage stop it is still an unwanted crash that will likely cause damage. To prevent crashes why not just have a limit switch on a clamp that is strategically placed to stop the lathe before a crash occurs? This would only be as a backup for a freak lapse of attention at the wrong moment.

However if threading to a shoulder is involved, there are some mechanisms that disengage the half nuts at the right point on every pass. Even so, I find it simpler in this case to run in reverse and thread out from the shoulder with the tool at the back.

A solid clamp on the ways (with or without a micro adjustment) is best used for limiting movement of the carriage by hand so you can feel it stop without crashing it.
I agree with with your comments - mostly. The exception is a lathe that's designed like mine.
It could really use a brake and a prox switch modification.
Even with the power cut off it would have continued to spin to a stop.
Here's my crash - the half-nuts had jammed and I couldn't get them disengaged quick enough:
My thinking in retrospect was that if my poorly designed carriage stop had worked, just the shear pin on the clutch would have need repair.
As it was I didn't find out until later on that the spring pin in the clutch had mangled and seized solid. So it wouldn't have functioned properly anyway.
Perfect storm.

here are a couple of ideas. https://thecogwheel.net/2019/04/04/carriage-stop/

I have the one that comes with my lathe. It is steel and I use it for a hard stop to keep from crashing. I wish to make an adjustable one. I am leaning towards the Cogwheel version and also to make it that it will handle a 2" indicator with positive stop in both directions so I can use it left or right.

With the one in the first link that mksj posted, it should not be too hard to wire the switch shown to a relay to stop the lathe.

I saw a cool setup on a 4003G, that mounted on the rod that activates the switch, and another piece mounted at the head end such that when the carriage contacted the non movable part, it forced the power lever to the off position. I thought I saved some pics, but cannot find them now.

I also found out by accident that if you do not have the banjo for the change gears real tight, the gears will push each other out of engagement if the carriage gets blocked.

Canyonman -
If your lathe uses a VFD (or contactors that use a low voltage/low current signals) to control the motor, you might be able to rig up a carriage stop with a switch.

I originally posted on my (hard) carriage stop on

Last year I added a microswitch. I'm pretty sure I posted about that modification somewhere on the forum, but I've not been able to find it. So here are a couple of photos to give you an idea. The microswitch opens the "run while closed" VFD circuit when the carriage depresses the plunger. Note that the switch is activated by the side of the plunger as it moves inward. This allows some overtravel without crunching the switch, as might be the case if the switch were located at the end of the plunger. I have a braking resistor on the VFD, so the spindle stops pretty quickly (about ¼ turn at 100 RPM). The ¼" phone plug goes into a "shorting" type jack, so that when the plug is removed, the "run" signal maintains continuity. When I bought the phone plug and jack I added a dust cover to my order. Note that it's a "stereo" phone plug. That's because the signals going to the VFD need to be isolated from ground. Because it's mounted to the metal casing of the lathe, the outer shell of the jack is grounded. The switch is connected to the tip and the first ring of the plug.

All you have to remember when using such a switch is to set the reverse/stop/forward switch to "stop" before moving the carriage away.

kHPIM5972.jpgkHPIM5973.jpgkHPIM5975.jpgkkHPIM5971.jpg

Back