Cart for Propane Cutting Outfit

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finished a metalworking project this week. Not a machining project, but it involves tools machinists need. I made a cart for a propane cutting rig.

I went with propane instead of acetylene for various reasons that are well known. When I started setting things up, I found that there were very few options for carts. When I say that, people tend to post useless links to acetylene carts. Propane tanks do not fit on these carts.

I bought a Home Depot handtruck. I used my SWAG Offroad brake to make brackets from 1/8" by 1" bar. I cut up a chain to make eyes to hold chains, and I welded them to the brackets. I welded the brackets to the cart.

I cut off the tiny base plate on the cart and welded a bigger one in its place. I put tabs on it to keep the tanks from sliding around.

I taped the cart up and used truck bed coating to cover the exposed steel.

It came out great. It doesn't take up much room, and it's stable. The only problem is the tires. They're pneumatic, so of course, they will go flat once a month. I found 10" solid wheels online, so I will be buying a pair of those and taking the pneumatics to the dump. I can't figure out why any manufacturer uses them.

When I'm all done with this thing, I may have $100 in it. Not bad.

09 18 20 propane cart 05 standing with new base attached small.jpg

09 21 20 propane cart 08 finished cart painted still needs propane strap small.jpg

Finished a metalworking project this week. Not a machining project, but it involves tools machinists need. I made a cart for a propane cutting rig.

I went with propane instead of acetylene for various reasons that are well known. When I started setting things up, I found that there were very few options for carts. When I say that, people tend to post useless links to acetylene carts. Propane tanks do not fit on these carts.

I bought a Home Depot handtruck. I used my SWAG Offroad brake to make brackets from 1/8" by 1" bar. I cut up a chain to make eyes to hold chains, and I welded them to the brackets. I welded the brackets to the cart.

I cut off the tiny base plate on the cart and welded a bigger one in its place. I put tabs on it to keep the tanks from sliding around.

I taped the cart up and used truck bed coating to cover the exposed steel.

It came out great. It doesn't take up much room, and it's stable. The only problem is the tires. They're pneumatic, so of course, they will go flat once a month. I found 10" solid wheels online, so I will be buying a pair of those and taking the pneumatics to the dump. I can't figure out why any manufacturer uses them.

When I'm all done with this thing, I may have $100 in it. Not bad.

View attachment 338126

View attachment 338128

Nice work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I made a dedicated propane cart for my weed burner using a discarded hand truck.

c4f905d0aed129ab344ed78632dd9e84.plist

b44d2155523f8efed1c8c026eaa00e53.plist

Single tank carts for feeders and transport

622b5cce3dd9865fff956bb70db345a6.plist

What, other than expense are the well known reasons? I know from personal observation that Propane takes a LOT more time to preheat before cutting is able to commence.

What, other than expense are the well known reasons? I know from personal observation that Propane takes a LOT more time to preheat before cutting is able to commence.
Cost as you say is one factor.
Locally a 20 lb tank of propane is $20 vs $80 for B tank of acetylene.

I've not used either yet but from my research propane preheats almost as quick as acetylene provided the correct part of the flame is used.

"Propane releases only a small proportion of heat in the inner flame cone (less than 10%), so most of the heat in the flame is located in the outer cone. Acetylene releases almost 40% of its heat in the inner flame cone."
Source: https://www.wilhelmsen.com/marine-p...reparation/gas-welding--acetylene-vs-propane/

This is a screen shot from a BOC info sheet.
The second column are figures for acetylene, third are propane.
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.46.09 AM.png

Last edited:
Yeah, but welding....

If you only need to cut maybe but I love the stringy soot that comes from the torch when you first fire up the acetylene.

John

I have witnessed a lot of propane fueled cutting where I apprenticed, and truly appreciate the amount of time taken for the preheat, and it is a lot of time compared with acetylene. On the Kaiser Steel premesis, when truly heavy plate was to be cut, out came the four ganged biggest size acetylene cylinders, torches with 1/2" oxygen hoses; I am talking up to about 12" plate. I guess wages were cheaper than the wait with the propane cost differential.

I have witnessed a lot of propane fueled cutting where I apprenticed, and truly appreciate the amount of time taken for the preheat, and it is a lot of time compared with acetylene. On the Kaiser Steel premesis, when truly heavy plate was to be cut, out came the four ganged biggest size acetylene cylinders, torches with 1/2" oxygen hoses; I am talking up to about 12" plate. I guess wages were cheaper than the wait with the propane cost differential.
Yikes! That would be a sight to see.
I can certainly see where time vs gas costs would be more valuable for jobs like that.

Back