Cartridge Calibration Press

Hello,

My entire cartridge gauge design where you go from one end of Die to another, so the calibration is complete.

The machine has some oxidized parts and stems with hard chrome;

The Dies were bought from bought.

Hope you like it !

6d80906b-2b4f-41ce-b036-d8ac80bafc9e.jpg

56d28094-3b5c-4c85-9a64-4c98b48fac0d.jpg

a18b6a6c-75cf-4361-81e9-10e2917d5d03.jpg

Attachments

• video calibrando 1.mp4
    6 MB · Views: 18
  • video calibrando.mp4
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
I have not seen cases sized like that before. Most auto cases like 380, 9MM and 45 all have tapered cases which set the seating depth in the barrel of the gun. if the taper is too large the bolt will not close but if the taper is too small the firing pin will not strike the primer and the gun will not fire. Is that a bullet sizing die that you are using? I use them to size the bullet or projectile after molding them in a split cavity mold.

Dennis

I have not seen cases sized like that before. Most auto cases like 380, 9MM and 45 all have tapered cases which set the seating depth in the barrel of the gun. if the taper is too large the bolt will not close but if the taper is too small the firing pin will not strike the primer and the gun will not fire. Is that a bullet sizing die that you are using? I use them to size the bullet or projectile after molding them in a split cavity mold.

Dennis

Hello
the cartridges have a useful life of about 30 to 40 shots, but every 5 shots pass in this machine to return the original measurement accurately; In the recharge machines the cartridge enters and leaves the DIE and a small portion is left uncalibrated, so this unique machine was developed to calibrate the cartridges in full; I already made 8 machines of this type. has oxidized black parts and the rods are high strength chrome.

I hope I have pleased

Thanks for comment

I have been reloading for 45 years and have loaded 50 to 60 thousand rounds but just never seen a headless case resized full length. This is something new to me. So are you just resizing the space just above the grove at the head that does not go into the resizing die when it is reloaded?

Dennis

FWIW, if you're using Lee or Redding push through dies, they also work on standard reloading presses. What calibers do you load?

Tom

Full length resizing is a standard procedure that's supported by the big reloading manufacturers presses, could you explain what's different?
Is it that the full length of the solid plug at the cartridge base is forced through the die rather than just part of it and if so what is the advantage of that?
Thanks,
Nick

Nice work, nice press. I understand the operation and the need to 'recalibrate' a case. Your way is quicker than mine. But in one video the case is resized neck down and the other video it is resized neck up, just wondering if it gives the same result both ways.

Tom,

I use an Hornady Ammo Factory which is a fully automatic press with Auto Case, Primer, Power and Bullet feed. The point I am making is the case on headless ammo is tapered from the head to the bullet end. The dies I use are full length sizing dies that size to that specified taper.

I am trying to understand how a passthrough die can maintain that taper. Are you sizing to the upper end of the taper to take out any head swell in the case?

I know that if I don't maintain that taper the case will either seat too high in the barrel and not chamber or too low and the firing pin will not strike the primer. I use a Reddiing Go No-Go gage to check see that the taper is correct and that the loaded bullet will chamber correctly.

I am firing in Kimber Custom pistols.

I load 380, 9MM Lugar, 40 cal and 45ACP plus al lot of others which are either straight cases with a head like 357 mag and a lots of bottle neck rifle sizes.

Dennis

cd9parabellum.jpg

I've just watched the videos, I made a bullet sizing push rod for my Lee press, a variation of which could be used to locate and push a case fully through a die, fairly quick and very easy to make on a lathe too.

As far as I know, rimless cartridge cases either headspace on a shoulder or on the case neck mouth. Since there is no shoulder on the case in the video it would seem to be a cartridge that headspaces on the neck mouth. So the critical dimension is case length and not the taper.
The body taper on the case is for ease of chambering and extraction. The taper should not be relied upon for headspacing.

The operation shown in the video is probably to reduce the bulge that develops just above the case head after several firings. This bulge does not always get resized completely in a full length die. If left as is that bulge might interfere with smooth chambering and extraction.

Last edited:
Back