Cartridge Calibration Press

Hello,

My entire cartridge gauge design where you go from one end of Die to another, so the calibration is complete.

The machine has some oxidized parts and stems with hard chrome;

The Dies were bought from bought.

Hope you like it !

6d80906b-2b4f-41ce-b036-d8ac80bafc9e.jpg

56d28094-3b5c-4c85-9a64-4c98b48fac0d.jpg

a18b6a6c-75cf-4361-81e9-10e2917d5d03.jpg

Attachments

• video calibrando 1.mp4
    6 MB · Views: 18
  • video calibrando.mp4
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
Hello

Good afternoon everyone !

In the attached photos the 2 ways of calibrating the cartridge are shown.

In mode 1 photo the cartridge is marked at the point where it has to be calibrated to return to the original measurement, this point is not calibrated in the recharging machines.

These ammunitions are used in IPSC competitions and need to be perfect because any minor detail will fail the gun.

I prefer to calibrate in mode 1 because the option is lighter and causes less fatigue because sometimes has 500 to 700 cartridges to calibrate and if working in mode 2 becomes too heavy.

Each cartridge needs 500 to 700 kg to enter the calibrator then working in mode 1 the operator makes a force between 12 and 17 kg at the maximum, this considering the extreme cases of well dilated cartridges.

As I said before, I have already made 8 identical machines with small differences in finish; everyone who bought me informed me that they liked the machine and it became very useful because they ended the feedback faults in the pistols during the IPSC competitions.

I'm developing a new design for other .38spl / .357 and 38 super gauges; This calibrates the cartridge does not pass, has to enter and exit.

Still in the project

My thanks to all the comments, all the ideas and issues are important to me.

Thank you !

Can ask the will

MODO 1.jpg

MODO 2.jpg

I've checked the word "Calibrate" in several dictionaries and does seem inappropriate for this application.

I believe what you're trying to do is "Blueprint" the cases, i.e. bring them to their optimum design specification.

Blueprinting is something that can be done in a standard Lee press with a couple of inexpensively made parts. .

I prefer to calibrate in mode 1 because the option is lighter and causes less fatigue because sometimes has 500 to 700 cartridges to calibrate and if working in mode 2 becomes too heavy.

Each cartridge needs 500 to 700 kg to enter the calibrator then working in mode 1 the operator makes a force between 12 and 17 kg at the maximum, this considering the extreme cases of well dilated cartridges.

As I said before, I have already made 8 identical machines with small differences in finish; everyone who bought me informed me that they liked the machine and it became very useful because they ended the feedback faults in the pistols during the IPSC competitions.

I'm developing a new design for other .38spl / .357 and 38 super gauges; This calibrates the cartridge does not pass, has to enter and exit.

What about lubrication? I know it can be messy but that sounds like an awful lot of effort. Also, do you end up getting any scratches on the cases and have to clean the die?

Hope that you will show us your new design too.

I have been reloading for 45 years and have loaded 50 to 60 thousand rounds but just never seen a headless case resized full length. This is something new to me. So are you just resizing the space just above the grove at the head that does not go into the resizing die when it is reloaded?

Dennis

Hello

Yes, just the point with the cartridge that is marked on the photo of mode 1.

This part causes feedback failure in the IPSC guns, then completely passing through the DIE the diameter returns to the original measurement.

In mode 1 photo the cartridge is marked at the point where it has to be calibrated to return to the original measurement, this point is not calibrated in the recharging machines.

I reload .38Spl, .357Mag and .45ACP and your terminology doesn't make any sense.

Full length resizing is a standard procedure that's supported by the big reloading manufacturers presses, could you explain what's different?
Is it that the full length of the solid plug at the cartridge base is forced through the die rather than just part of it and if so what is the advantage of that?
Thanks,
Nick

The advantage is that the IPSC guns are all customized and with the springs relieved then the cartridge measurements need to be equal to the original, can not scratch spandid; on recharging machines the part marked on the photo cartridge of mode 1 is uncalibrated and causes feedback faults in the gun.

Whoever bought this machine solved this problem

I was happy for that!

Nice work, nice press. I understand the operation and the need to 'recalibrate' a case. Your way is quicker than mine. But in one video the case is resized neck down and the other video it is resized neck up, just wondering if it gives the same result both ways.

Hello

Yes it has the same result but mode 1 lighter the operation causing less fatigue, because there are days that have many cartridges.

There are some people who use mode 2, but I do not see why.

What about lubrication? I know it can be messy but that sounds like an awful lot of effort. Also, do you end up getting any scratches on the cases and have to clean the die?

Hope that you will show us your new design too.

The cartridges should be clean, you can pass a small amount of WD40 spray, so the operation is perfect

I have been reloading for 45 years and have loaded 50 to 60 thousand rounds but just never seen a headless case resized full length. This is something new to me. So are you just resizing the space just above the grove at the head that does not go into the resizing die when it is reloaded?
Dennis

You must mean rimless case, where do you put the primer in a headless case?

I reload .38Spl, .357Mag and .45ACP and your terminology doesn't make any sense.
I beg your soup spoon?

Different terminology maybe but don't you get the drift? Wish that I could write Portugese as well as TPinheiro writes english.

Last edited:
Back