Carver Clamp Repair And Showing Off My Home Made Kant Twists

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
A friend of mine who works in the tool and die industry gave me a broken 12 inch
Carver clamp. It was bent from hard usage and was cracked in two places when attempting to
straighten it in a press. I ground out several vees and welded in the damaged areas with
some 7018AC rod. It seems serviceable now after some test clamping so happy to have it.
It was orange in color so may get a can of orange spray paint and attempt to keep it in
the original color. Also a few months ago I made two clamps in the Kant Twist style so
had to show them off as well. I havn't been in the shop much lately but with the cooler weather
coming on, I'm sure I will spend more time there. I can see that my old C-Clamps
are going to be gathering dust...:clapping: IMG_0867.JPG

As an added note, the Carver clamp can be used for prying by reversing the movable
piece, an added benefit!

Last edited:
Very nice! Would you be willing to share more details about your KantTwist style clamps?

Very nice! Would you be willing to share more details about your KantTwist style clamps?

Sure, I can do that. I looked on E-Bay at some photos of what they are and cut out some cardboard
templates of the clamp shapes. The shape is not real critical. Then transfer the shapes to some
plate steel and cut the rough shape with a band saw free hand. Finish off the shape using a disc sander.
Then mark and drill the holes in the appropriate places referencing the photos on E-Bay. Then a little
lathe work is in order to make the separation pins. Also more machining for the threaded rod and
associated parts. You can make them any size you would like. Assemble by swaging the pins in place
and final assembly, a fun little project. If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to assist.

Thank you for the rundown on building them. That clears up a few things for me. When I get to making them, I might have more questions for you.
In the mean time, thanks again!

Thank you for the rundown on building them. That clears up a few things for me. When I get to making them, I might have more questions for you.
In the mean time, thanks again!
When you do the disc grinding operation, hold them together with a clamp or vise grip so they are exactly pairs.
Also when drilling, it is important to clamp them together so the drill holes are positioned perfectly. It takes a while
to make the clamps but well worth it for the satisfaction of building your own clamps. You are quite welcome.

Back