Cast concrete lathe base

Masterjuggler

Registered
Registered
I've had the Horrible Freight mini lathe for a few weeks now, and the only place I can currently put it is on a wooden workbench that's older than dirt. No way to level the lathe, and it was really bad, like a 0.015" diameter change over 6" in a piece without tailstock support. I decided to cast this 2" thick slab of concrete both to level the bed, and to give the machine more mass in general. I'm going to be pretty verbose in this so I can either get criticism for how to do it better, or so other people can do this too.

I made a mold out of melamine countertop and put some 1/4-20 bolts in the right spots to act as studs for the lathe feet. I didn't feel like finding a hammer drill for the concrete and getting proper anchor bolts, and it's only a mini lathe, so this is fine. All edges were caulked.
P_20200721_153654.jpg

I put in two layers of metal scrim for reinforcement. The concrete isn't any kind of fancy countertop grade, just the regular fiber crack resistant stuff. Ignore the bucket label, it was empty and just used for concrete mixing. Nearly set the drill on fire haha.
P_20200721_161428.jpg

It looks pretty wet, but I really didn't over water it, it's just smoothed out.
P_20200721_163246.jpg

I thought 36 hours was long enough to take it out of the mold. I was wrong. The edges got chipped, but nothing major broke. It should have been more like 72 hours. I waited a few more days before mounting the lathe.
P_20200722_225040.jpg

I have some level vials down to 20 seconds, but I only have a base made for a 90 second vial. After a quick check with it I went to checking with a 6" long 3/4" piece of 12L14, again unsupported by the tailstock. It took me about an hour to get it down to a 0.0005" difference in diameter end-to-end, which is way more than good enough for now. Maybe once the concrete is actually done curing in a few months I'll get it even better.
P_20200723_202352.jpg

Now with the increases rigidity I'll be able to make use of a 1/2hp 3-phase Baldor motor I have coming. The brushed DC motor that came with this is wimpy as crap, and can't quite make a 0.01" pass in 1" 12L14 without stalling, on low gear. Boy do 7.5 thou passes take forever when you've got a lot of material to come off. I can also always stick a 2hp 3ph Baldor I have laying around on it if I really want to blow the machine up from a crash lol.

Last edited:
Your base looks like a great way to stiffen up/level the mini lathe. Definitely re-check level after it's fully cured. As for the motor, just keep in mind that there's a set of nylon gears between the motor and the spindle. Overkill on the motor might well cause tooth decay :)

I use "2hp" treadmill motor with a jack shaft to get the rpm back down, you will break teeth! The gears are easy to change, I would never go back to stock power. Have fun!!

Yeah I'm definitely aware of the strength of the gears in the headstock, which is why I'm first going for the 1/2hp motor which should suit this lathe better than the 2hp motor I already have. I plan to make some metal ones at some point, but if I do snap a gear, I can always 3d print a temporary one out of nylon.

And because it's a Baldor motor, it's actually 1/2hp output, which is a big gripe I have with these chinesium motors the lathes come with, It says 3/4hp, but it also says 110V 3A input (0.44hp), and the model is ZYT-250 for 250W (0.34hp), and you don't know what the actual output efficiency is. It's probably more like 1/4hp or less when it's all said and done.

Hey that's great.
I bet that's a good stable base for your lathe.
Concrete is so versatile these days.
I really like the counter tops that are being created.

One of the more memorable things I learned in my Properties of Materials class is that concrete will continue to cure, with increasing compressive strength, as long as it is kept wet. Once it has been allowed to dry the curing stops and will not resume. The strongest concrete in the world is the underwater portion of bridge pilings.
1595602309039.png

Yeah, that's fine though, I just need it to not crumble lol. It's just adding some rigidity and allowing me to level. I think if someone were looking for a really bomb proof base for a decent sized lathe, at least 4 inches or so would be far better. Especially if it happens to be a floor with ground beneath it like a basement or garage, so it would be constantly damp from the moisture underneath.

Maybe at some point I'll break out comsol or something and do some structural analysis for kicks lol. I'm working through a physics degree so I have the tools available.

As MrWhoopee points out, concrete is really strong in compression but weak in tension. You can strengthen a slab like this by pre or post stressing it with steel in tension at the neutral axis. This doesn't stiffen it but strengthens it so it will undergo greater bending stress without breaking. You can stiffen it with steel in tension on both sides of the neutral axis.

@Masterjuggler - If you decide to go the metal gear route, Little Machine Shop can be your friend:
You know, I've seriously been thinking about 3d printing some helical gears instead of the usual spurs. Quieter and way more durable. The issue would be the axial thrust created from the tooth angle trying to make the gears slip out of position. I think I might print some up, stick them in, and just see what happens as a test.

Back