Cast Iron

G

Grumpy Gator

Forum Guest
Register Today
Anybody here doing cast iron...I have an old CI stove with a broken foot...I can supply a good foot for the mold and an old cast iron pan or two for material ...Casting is not in my skill set...Opinions Please...Thanks...**Gator**

I would suggest using old engine blocks or machines for the metal. Cast iron use for cooking appliances was sometimes inferior metal.

Thanks RJ.
Like I said casting is not part of my skill set...Any suggestions for doner material ??...Sure enough having a bad spelling day on my side...Y'll have that with me...Much as I like that stove I'm not going to give up one of my shovel head cylinders to make a foot out of one...**G**

Do you have the broken foot? I like chips&more’s question, but if you have the pieces, maybe braze it together? Just a guess.

One old Grumpy gator to another

I tigged the broken cast iron handle of an old bridgeport using 309L. Worked well and hasn't failed as of yet. Welding cast iron can be a crap shoot!
I know some have used aluminum bronze (er cual-a2) you can get it on ebay as well as amazon and of course you LWS.

o/a, flux and a cast iron rod works well

cg285 is right. Or, if it's a good casting you can do well with a MIG too. V grind it, pre-heat to 500 degrees or so, weld and wrap it or pack it in sand and let it cool slow.

Back