Casters for Mill

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I think I found my mill--an 8x36 used import, weighing about 1700 lbs. I want it to be mobile so I can roll it around as needed.

I've heard good things about CarryMaster casters. I have a couple questions:
1) What issues would there be if I mount casters to the holes in the base rather than building a frame with outrigger wheels?
2) What safety factor should I use when sizing casters? CarryMaster makes 1680 lbs, 2640 lbs, 4400 lbs, 5700 lbs, and 7920 lbs casters. Obviously the bigger they are, the more expensive they are. I'm thinking that the 4400 lbs set should work ok, but maybe the heavier duty casters will roll easier?

Thanks,
Evan

I used casters from CasterCity and am super happy. It scares me ho easy it is to push my little mill around (est. 1,000 lbs). The web site has tons of info and worth a look even if you do not plan on buying from them, especially "FAQ" and "Application Tips". http://www.castercity.com/

I used casters from CasterCity and am super happy. It scares me ho easy it is to push my little mill around (est. 1,000 lbs). The web site has tons of info and worth a look even if you do not plan on buying from them, especially "FAQ" and "Application Tips". http://www.castercity.com/
Groundhog,
Thanks. I looked at Caster City, but the heaviest leveling caster is 2,000 lbs. Did you get the heaviest ones for your 1000 lb mill?

Evan

Evan,
I didn't get leveling casters and I forget just what they are for sure. All 4 swivel, are about 4"dia and 2"wide. Some kind of hard plastic or rubber. I'm thinking I might have 1,000 lb casters at each corner (maybe 800? - been awhile). That'd be 3,000 lbs overkill - seems to roll about like that too!

I'd call them, tell them you want it to roll with ease and see what they recommend.

For leveling I use 3 HF "pancake" hydraulic rams attached to a manifold where I can open/close flow to each ram separately and use my port-o-power pump to supply the pressure. Makes it super easy to lift off the wheels and level / lower to move. Pump only needs to be attached when raising/lowering/leveling. (I need to document this system. Makes leveling a lot easier/quicker than turning bolts & nuts that are under pressure)

Reactions: Z2V
Groundhog,
I like your idea of the hydraulic rams--very clever. I think for now I'll just go with the 4000 lb CarryMaster casters--that should be more than adequate.
Evan

Back