Casting voids on machine ways ... a problem?

Mr. Science

Registered
Registered
So finally getting down to breaking down my lathe (chinese, yes) and found these casting voids on the underside of the crossslide carrier - which would coincide with the top of the way rails - presumably one of the more important parts of the thing ... what do you think? is this a problem? Should i ask for a replacement part from the seller?

Attachments

• DSC01165.JPG
    DSC01165.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 85
Crappy quality control, but probably not a significant defect, a very small portion of the bearing area. I would just make sure that there are no sharp edges, a Dremel would make quick work of knocking off any sharp edges. Might make an oil reservoir.

You might be worse off getting another one from the vendor.

I have seen those little voids on saddles that’s for Rockwell before so it’s been machined so should be ready to go.

Just to be a bit snarky, and I apologize for it, I just repaired an old Bridgeport...the table and way castings were perfect.

Well about the only way to not get any porosity is to use the cosworth process, Pulling the metal UP into the mold under vacuum. It supposedly eliminates the offgassing, creating a solid block during the pour. I dont think that the cosworth process was around when most bridgeports were built. Tim

Back