Catapiller steel toe work books

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just bought a pair of Caterpillar (as in yellow bull dozer maker) steel toe lace up work boots at a Sears sidewalk sale. Cost one lathe buck -$100.

All I can say is Wow! Why did I wait so long. Don't let the machinery branded name throw you off. This model/style is actually, very, very, well made and inexpensive boots. All leather non insulated construction (ok a light inner lining). Slip resistant and heat resistant tread. Low profile, over ankle hook and lace tops. Very easy to lace and take off. I've found them comfortable, light weight, and easy to work in around the shop and out in the railroad yard. Ahaha. No more gritting teeth as welding slag burns through my synthetic running shoes at my ankles, or steel rems and tools bounce off the toes.

IMG_1445.JPG

Oops, gotta go now and find some more steel work to do - in my new boots!

Glenn

Last edited:
Wow, nice boots. Don't forget to add them to your list of equipment.

Bob, ahahahaha. Thanks! Didn't have a clue so,did my best. Could have looked at my photo if I'd A been thinking proper!

Gpb
Sure enough, there it is! I sold (and bought) Cat parts for 36 years, so I knew how to spell it...

Glad you like your new boots, Glen! I started wearing pull-on leather steel-toe boots several years ago. They are easier to put on and take off for me. The main reason, though, was that I got tired of burning the laces off when doing lots of welding. No laces - no burning of laces! :D

And thanks for the reminder that hobbyists toes are just as valuable as any others. Will start back to wearing my old Dakotas.

Well, add me to the stupid list. Not only do I wear running shoes in both the wood and metal shops, but I have diabetic neuropathy in both feet. So I can't feel much of anything below my sock line. I don't know if I screwed up until I take off my socks before bed, and see the bruise. And my wife asks me what happened, and all I can do is shrug.

Mike, I have something similar, but so far mostly in the right foot. Ortho guy said to wear Brooks brand running shoes with purposely altered inserts to counter the walking on grate sensation in one foot. However, I've got tired of literally burning up $150 running shoes every three months in the shop - and it gets very expensive. Welding slag and cutting torch molten bits just go right though - doesn't even leave a hole some times - just burns out on my ankles and arches... So finally bite the bullet on these boots. Actually I think they are better than the athletic shoes-although I must have tried on every shoe on the planet over two days, at several shoe stores, to select this pair.

Wanted a pair of steeel toe high top Wellington slip on boots-but apparently they went out of style in 1965. Missed my chance!

Glenn

when I worked in shops that everything needed a crane to lift it. steel toed boots were not required. why you ask? we were told that something heavy would fall and instead of just crushing your toes the steel cap would slice off all your toes instead. so I stayed away from steel toed shoes. sorry to be a downer on this but that is what I heard at southern California Edison. bill keep your toes out of the way

Back