Catapiller steel toe work books

when I worked in shops that everything needed a crane to lift it. steel toed boots were not required. why you ask? we were told that something heavy would fall and instead of just crushing your toes the steel cap would slice off all your toes instead. so I stayed away from steel toed shoes. sorry to be a downer on this but that is what I heard at southern California Edison. bill keep your toes out of the way

Ive heard that too when I was working on industrial boilers. I didn't buy it and stuck w/ my steel toes back then. Ive looked at the "Caterpillar" boots while at Sears and Ive always passed only due to the name, seemed silly. Ive been dealing w/ Plantar Fasciitis for about a half year now, I wear mostly Redwing mixed with similar brands mixed in due to that. I usually rotate my boots daily so I will look at the Caterpillar boots again, Thanks for the review.

when I worked in shops that everything needed a crane to lift it. steel toed boots were not required. why you ask? we were told that something heavy would fall and instead of just crushing your toes the steel cap would slice off all your toes instead. so I stayed away from steel toed shoes. sorry to be a downer on this but that is what I heard at southern California Edison. bill keep your toes out of the way

This sounds like Urban Legend.
Check out: https://achesandjoints.org/2012/05/23/crush-injuries-to-the-forefoot/
We we can reasonably question "Myth Busters" as a credible source of research, as well as the author of this article and possible undisclosed interests/bias.
I'll look for more science if there is interest/need this is merely the first possibly credible source I found which had a pro/con documented position.

The fire and EMS service is awful for the offering resistance to change because "that's not how we do it" or, we've been doing it this way for X years. Tradition, culture and myth or legend does not make something correct. On the other hand I will also suggest that science doesn't automatically make it right or best.

Daryl
MN

We all wear composite toes at work. Mostly because steel toes won't make it through the security metal detectors.
Anyone looking to buy work boots should check out Thorogood, made in the state of Wisconsin. Took a while to break mine in but I wear mine even when not at work.
http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/

Brian T, Caterpillar sells at least two different model boot. If you go looking at Cat brand, make sure you try both pair, or at lease be aware of this model. I did not like the first style Cat boot I tried on. Also stayed away from them because of name. Next day at Sears,more or less in desperation, saw these and liked them. The first pair had rather large toes and maybe were insulated. Can't remember. Anyway, the two pairs are notably different Construction. Ones I bought are more like hiking boots. They are turning out to be maybe the best boot I've ever worn.

I never wore steel tool before either, mostly because I was in Alaska. The steel toe draws the winter cold like crazy. So, no longer there and now figure this doesn't matter anymore. Now, My little hobbyshop parts and tools just bounce off and clatter on the floor. Fun stuff!

Glenn

I was an Ironworker for a couple years when i was a kid.
we were discouraged from wearing steel toe boots on most jobsites i was on

Just bought a pair of Caterpillar (as in yellow bull dozer maker) steel toe lace up work boots at a Sears sidewalk sale. Cost one lathe buck -$100.
All I can say is Wow! Why did I wait so long. Don't let the machinery branded name throw you off. This model/style is actually, very, very, well made and inexpensive boots. All leather non insulated construction (ok a light inner lining). Slip resistant and heat resistant tread. Low profile, over ankle hook and lace tops. Very easy to lace and take off. I've found them comfortable, light weight, and easy to work in around the shop and out in the railroad yard. Ahaha. No more gritting teeth as welding slag burns through my synthetic running shoes at my ankles, or steel rems and tools bounce off the toes.
Oops, gotta go now and find some more steel work to do - in my new boots!
Glenn
Nice boots!

I've had a pair of Georgia Boots steel toes for years, had to have them to leave the office and go to the shop. But when up at a local shop rebuilding my backhoe the solvent spray ate the soles off of them. Had a local shoe repair resole them with Vibram brand soles and they are still going. Cost me the price of the Cat boots but they were hardly broke in when the soles went to the big floor in the sky.
One old boy on a radial drill bounced a 1/2 ton of steel of his steel toed boots and we caught him with a bar in a vise and his boot off and beating the dent out. Huummmm.

Jim

We all wear composite toes at work. Mostly because steel toes won't make it through the security metal detectors.
Anyone looking to buy work boots should check out Thorogood, made in the state of Wisconsin. Took a while to break mine in but I wear mine even when not at work.
http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/

Second that on Thorogood. They make an extra wide in my size. Most others don't. Made in USA. Water resistant, anti slip and the composite toe. My only complaint is the little openings in the soles that help make them slip resistant, like siping tires on your truck, also seem to make a great nest for metal chips from the machine shop floor. So they gotta go on and come off in the garage --not on the wife's hardwood floors.
Jerry

I've had a pair of Georgia Boots steel toes for years, had to have them to leave the office and go to the shop. But when up at a local shop rebuilding my backhoe the solvent spray ate the soles off of them. Had a local shoe repair resole them with Vibram brand soles and they are still going. Cost me the price of the Cat boots but they were hardly broke in when the soles went to the big floor in the sky.
One old boy on a radial drill bounced a 1/2 ton of steel of his steel toed boots and we caught him with a bar in a vise and his boot off and beating the dent out. Huummmm.

Jim

Dittos on the disappearing soles, I was wearing and a pear of Red Wings with some some kind of cushioned sole at a friends motorcycle shop one day and the soles disintegrated in a couple hours. Never did figure out what the solvent was. Maybe Brake Cleaner or something similar. Good call on the Vibram soles.

Jim_Z

I wore steel toed boots for years most of the time if something fell it it's above the toe part. One time they saved my toes ,a guy driving a hard tire forklift ran over my foot crushed the steel thru the sole but saved my toes . I wanted to beat the crap out of him but was restrained. In a hurry not doing his job right got him fired. But I needed the job good thing I was a good boy then.

Back