Caustic bluing question

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
got my bluing tanks set up and wondering what you BLUERS out there use for a degreaser, one that you put in the tank, heat up then degrease with before going into the blue tank. I have done bluing before but at school and it was years ago. They used Heatbath products I don't remember what they used for degreaser and years ago Heatbath wouldn't sell me salts and so forth.

Not an expert on bluing, but I have used the Caswell cold blue solution and acetone is recommended for degreasing.
Just handle the parts with nitrile or latex gloves to prevent skin oils from adhering to the parts.

I saw the 909, I was hoping there would be a more reasonably priced solution, at least for me a cheaper product. I was hoping to find something under $100.00

Thanks derf

I've been told by old timers that Tide works, but I never tried it. I'd be inclined to blast everything with carb cleaner first, and then try some Castrol Super clean in the hot tank. There are lots of solutions that will de-grease, but the key is keeping the parts from getting a skim of rust between rinsing and going into the blue tank. I think that may have something to do with the PH level of the rinse water.

Well it looks like the 909 will have to do. The nr 45 at dulite is twice as much as the 909. I was just trying to save a little money. I don't do this full time so a hundred bucks to blue every 4 months or so is a little high for me.

I use Soy solvent by chem point. It works great for degreasing parts for Moly Resin and Ceracoat parts. I have used it for cold blue parts. It‘s bio degradable too.
CH

I use trichloroethylene brake cleaner for parts prior to coating. It's a very strong solvent for oil-permeated metal. No experience with hot bluing, but the chemistry works out fine in caustic salts.

Back