CBN Grinding Wheels

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After my near catastrophic bench grinder incident I decided to try the CBN grinding wheels. I got my wheels from woodturnerswonders.com. I got the 80 grit and 350 grit 8" wheels based on their recommendation. The wheels are the 4 in 1 design with grit on part of the side and with 1/4" radius corners.

The wheels are absolutely beautiful.

At 1-1/4" wide they fit in the factory guards. I did have to make a 1/4" spacer to center the wheels in the guard.

20170721_181651.jpg
20170721_181629 (1).jpg
20170721_181644.jpg

All I can say about them is WOW! These things are awesome on HSS. As a test, I ground this 3/8" tool in about three minutes free hand. Not my best work but I wanted to see how well the wheels worked. I think I wet the tool twice. The 80 grit removes material like nobody's business with very little heat. Amazing.

20170721_181708.jpg

That is nice!
Now I have to buy a 8" grinder!
My 7" Baldor grinder will not take 8" wheels.:bawling:

EDIT: Wow! they are a little pricy! I'm sure they are well worth it in the long run.

How long do Cbn last, I thought cbn was for carbide grinding, do u dress them, are they diamond

Generally speaking CBN wheels are for grinding on harden steels only. Such as most tool steels. I found out the hard way trying to sharpen some carbide endmills using a CBN wheel, it don't work! Not to say they don't have something for carbide. So far, I've only been able to use diamond matrix grinding wheels for grinding carbide.

diamond wheels are for carbide and cbn are for steel, i have used them to tread grind and od grind thread gages. One cut on a thread gage 3/8" 16 and one finish cut. .080 rough cut no burn.

That is nice!
Now I have to buy a 8" grinder!
My 7" Baldor grinder will not take 8" wheels.:bawling:

EDIT: Wow! they are a little pricy! I'm sure they are well worth it in the long run.
Yeap, not cheap.

I have a three of the 8" wheels from Woodturners Wonders. Turns out that their pricing is some of the best and the owner provides good customer service.

I use them to sharpen HSS woodturning tools and have also done some finish work on HSS tool bits for my metal lathe. A set are good assets in the shop. Must admit that most of my HSS toll bit grinding for my lathe is done on a KMG.

Yes they are pricey but worth every penny in time saved.

I'm thrilled to death with these wheels. I have a pile of old cheap wood chisels left over from my construction business that were used(abused) for everything but their intended purpose. Kind of like flat bladed screw drivers. Some times the chisels would get roughly sharpened with a 4" angle grinder. It took too long on my 1800 rpm grinder so it was not worth my time. I would just buy another cheap one and throw the abused one in a box.

I recently needed a beater chisel to scrape some cement board so I gabbed one of the old abused ones out of the box and gave the CBN wheels a go instead of the angle grinder. Took less than 2 minutes to put a factory edge back on it and with very little heat. Theses wheels are amazing.

Looking for something specifically for fast metal removal of tool steel. Specifically A8M if by chance. How would you rate it for metal removal of tool steel compared to your white aluminum oxide wheel for the tool steels you have used?

I don't see CBN for serious metal removal. I see it as a sharpening wheel.

My CBN wheels replaced the white and blue wheels that I had. They are far superior.

BTW, if you want metal removal, I suggest you get a belt sander. They cannot be beat for that. I use a belt sander and then go to the CBN.

Back