CBN Grinding Wheels

I agree with the belt sander as far as quick removal. I am just set up with jigs for both my water and dry wheel grinders for some of the work I do.

After my near catastrophic bench grinder incident I decided to try the CBN grinding wheels. I got my wheels from woodturnerswonders.com. I got the 80 grit and 350 grit 8" wheels based on their recommendation. The wheels are the 4 in 1 design with grit on part of the side and with 1/4" radius corners.

The wheels are absolutely beautiful.

At 1-1/4" wide they fit in the factory guards. I did have to make a 1/4" spacer to center the wheels in the guard.

View attachment 238118 View attachment 238119 View attachment 238120

All I can say about them is WOW! These things are awesome on HSS. As a test, I ground this 3/8" tool in about three minutes free hand. Not my best work but I wanted to see how well the wheels worked. I think I wet the tool twice. The 80 grit removes material like nobody's business with very little heat. Amazing.

View attachment 238121

Do you like the radius on the edges? I was looking at the mega square wheels. I also notice they are used on a slow (1725rpm) grinder. Are they suitable for high speed grinder? They have a good price on a 1 hp (1725 rpm) grinder with wheels.

Do you like the radius on the edges? I was looking at the mega square wheels. I also notice they are used on a slow (1725rpm) grinder. Are they suitable for high speed grinder? They have a good price on a 1 hp (1725 rpm) grinder with wheels.

I would agree the square edge would be more valuable, as you can cut chip breakers that way.

That is nice!
Now I have to buy a 8" grinder!
My 7" Baldor grinder will not take 8" wheels.:bawling:

EDIT: Wow! they are a little pricy! I'm sure they are well worth it in the long run.

D-way tools makes 6", 7", 8" and 10" wheels.
http://d-waytools.com/cbn-grinding-wheels

I have an 8" on my Baldor and love it.
IMG_20171123_105220.jpg

Looking for something specifically for fast metal removal of tool steel. Specifically A8M if by chance. How would you rate it for metal removal of tool steel compared to your white aluminum oxide wheel for the tool steels you have used?
They are far superior to the stone wheels for material removal. I can't comment on how that compares to using a proper belt grinder as I don't have one. I have one stone wheel that comes close to the 80 grit CBN wheel but at the cost of excessive stone loss.

I'm okay with the radius so far. I would be nice to have a wheel with a smaller radius. I considered the Mega-square wheels but they are 1.5" wide and would not fit in my guards. I'm not comfortable running a grinder without guards.

I'm okay with the radius so far. I would be nice to have a wheel with a smaller radius. I considered the Mega-square wheels but they are 1.5" wide and would not fit in my guards. I'm not comfortable running a grinder without guards.

There's no need for a guard to protect you from the wheel blowing up.. Those wheels don't blow up. If you are worried about touching the wheel, you could build some standoffs and then cover the slot with soft aluminum.

Thanks jbolt for the reply regarding material removal. Can I ask about heat in the tool. More often then not I ll get some chipper knifes that have been hand ground with a hand grinder and alot of shape work to bring back to the recommended angle. There 5/8 thick and take some time. For now I rough it on a variable speed grinder at around 2200 rpm but have to be carefull with heating the blade and do it in stages and let it sit even with dunking and come back to,it before I finish it on the Tormek wet grinder. It would be great to be able to run the grinder ar it s 3600 rpm and remove the material without worrying about ruining the temper. The material a8m isn t hardened fully around 40 on the r c scale. A pain to grind as it clogs the wheel. Using a white aluminum oxide wheel how would you compare the cbn in this regard? Also is dust reduced as well with the cbn?

Last edited:
You shouldn't have any issues running a 8" CBN wheel at 3600 RPM. Max speed is higher than 3600 RPM. May occur a small balancing issue i the wheels were not properly balanced at the factory or using flanged washers that are out of wack.

You shouldn't have any issues running a 8" CBN wheel at 3600 RPM. Max speed is higher than 3600 RPM. May occur a small balancing issue i the wheels were not properly balanced at the factory or using flanged washers that are out of wack.
They offer a 1hp grinder with wheels at a good price ($445). They set it up with their spherical washers ( available separate also). The only thing is, it is 1725 rpm. I wasn't sure about the speed using on HHS steel.

Back