[4]

CDCO HSS tap and die set

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

guitarman0023

Registered
Registered
Anyone have any feedback on these sets? They claim to be HSS, but for the price, I'm not sure. Was thinking about picking up a set and using them on aluminum, and brass, and possibly trying soft steel. Just curious if they're worth the 36 bucks or not.

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Can you include a link? I have tried to search and don't think I am finding what you are referring to.

OH I just think I found it..$36 for the set??. If so that is about $1 per tap and die. I know it says H.S.S. but it doesn't make sense.

David

Last edited:

Cobra

Active User
i have always had good luck with Frank but have not ordered taps and dies.
In Canada I order taps from KBC.

guitarman0023

Registered
Registered
Yeah, part numbers 44444 for SAE, and 44445 for metric. Just wondering if anyone else had used them on aluminum or brass and had any luck

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Probably low quality imports but even if half of them are ok, for 36$ hard to go wrong as a starter or beater set

guitarman0023

Registered
Registered
Probably low quality imports but even if half of them are ok, for 36$ hard to go wrong as a starter or beater set
Yeah that was my thought, get me a decent selection for now, and replace them with good ones as I need them for harder material

Chuck K

Active User
I like Frank and I have no complaints about the stuff I have bought from him. I wouldn't buy any kind of cutting tool from him. Cheap taps and dies could end up costing more in the long run. Put a few hours and dollars in a project and then break off a tap in it. Not something I want to go cheap on.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Starter machinists and beater workpieces need the best possible tooling.

Put a few hours and dollars in a project and then break off a tap in it. Not something I want to go cheap on.
Amen to that. Which does not mean spending lots of money. If you watch for good used tool sales, you can get excellent taps and dies for cheaper than import stuff. You can even learn to grind the dull ones...

markba633csi

When I was in Jr. High the students were given good quality Union taps and proceeded to snap them off. So my feeling is snap off the cheap ones.
Then when one learns how to tap, buy good ones.
M

Chuck K

Active User
[QUOTE="Bob Korves, post: 581632, You can even learn to grind the dull ones...[/QUOTE]
That's above my pay grade. I've aquired enough taps over the years that if I have a dull one, its hits the scrap barrel.

P. Waller

Why would one buy a "set"?
Please explain this.

Bob Korves

So my feeling is snap off the cheap ones.
If you buy the cheap ones, you will get lots of practice in breaking them, and then perhaps move on to a different hobby.

Chuck K

Active User
Why would one buy a "set"?
Please explain this.
I get why a person that has few or no taps would buy a set. The problem is that a decent quality set doesn't come cheap and possibly won't have the particular tap you need for that special project. If you're patient you can buy taps as you need them and pick up lots of them that you don't necessarily need as they come along. Auctions, garage sales, ect.....before long you'll have more taps, dies, reamers, and drills than you know what to do with.

Chuck K

Active User
I get why a person that has few or no taps would buy a set. The problem is that a decent quality set doesn't come cheap and possibly won't have the particular tap you need for that special project. If you're patient you can buy taps as you need them and pick up lots of them that you don't necessarily need as they come along. Auctions, garage sales, ect.....before long you'll have more taps, dies, reamers, and drills than you know what to do with.
And you still won't have the one you need for that special project...LOL

P. Waller

I suppose that I now see the logic,
I have one particular part to make that requires one particular thread so I will buy a set that includes 23 tools that I do not need.
Makes perfect sense (-:

RJSakowski

When I'm working on a project or making a repair and I need to cut a thread or tap a shaft, I need it at the moment, not a week later. Special ordering a tap or die to complete the work,not only costs the price of the tap or die but also the shipping cost. I could throw a bunch of other things on the order to fill it out but that just adds more stuff that I don't really need. I happen to live in a machine tool wasteland. The last local supplier quit business decades ago. I also happen to be 20 miles from any big box store the might even carry the particular size that I need, forget about a quality tool. A trip into town to buy one carries a asu4rcharge for motor fuel.

I bought my first tap and die set more than forty years ago. A Craftsman SAE set, most of which I still have. I can't honestly say that there is a tap or die that hasn't been used. Over the years, I have added to the collection and have a fairly complete set through 1".

Metric taps and dies are a different story as I didn't have a need for them until comparatively recently. I have some of the smaller sizes of taps and a few dies but nowhere near a complete set. I had the opportunity to pick up a cheap metric set a few years ago and did so. They are there for emergency use and if just one of the the taps or dies does the job it will have paid for the set. Over time, my collection of good metric taps and dies will grow and the cheap set will be replaced. Until then, it fills the gap.

FOMOGO

Active User
Still have my old Craftsman set also. Have a cheap HF set, and have ground a few down to use as bottoming taps. I do enough different types of work, that I doubt I will ever regret having too many. Like most kinds of tools, they are a little like tribbles in nature. Mike

stioc

Registered
Registered
The only tap and die set I've ever owned is a HF one and in the last 2-3yrs I've tapped close to 100 holes with it, many power tapped too. Most of the tapping has been in alum and some in cast iron. Either I've gotten lucky so far or I guess I'm not brute forcing them enough lol.

guitarman0023

Registered
Registered
The only tap and die set I've ever owned is a HF one and in the last 2-3yrs I've tapped close to 100 holes with it, many power tapped too. Most of the tapping has been in alum and some in cast iron. Either I've gotten lucky so far or I guess I'm not brute forcing them enough lol.
I've actually had the same luck, just going slow and taking my time. I saw HSS on that set and got excited. I have a couple taps from the local supply place, they're about 20 bucks each! They do cut much faster, but are pretty pricey. I've gone to a few auctions and flea markets, haven't come across any taps or dies, so I thought this was a decent option for now. What about the taps/dies from Shars for about 5-8 dollars each? Have you guys had luck with those?

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I've been buying YG-1 spiral flute taps here and there. They tend to run about $14/ea, but cut so easily that it's worth it to me. Even in hard materials.

I haven't found any dies I like. I got irritated and just single point external threads on the lathe right now.

Chuck K

Active User
About 10 yrs. ago I bought the remaining stock from a tool supply house that closed. I hauled truck loads of tooling out of the place. There were a lot of different brands of taps in the mix. Along with the top name brands there were lots of boxes of noname taps that were made in Yugaslavia. They were some of the best cutting taps in the bunch. I was selling them on ebay and noticed others selling the thing. If you find any of those, they are worth buying. They can be picked up cheap. I still use them.

guitarman0023

Registered
Registered
About 10 yrs. ago I bought the remaining stock from a tool supply house that closed. I hauled truck loads of tooling out of the place. There were a lot of different brands of taps in the mix. Along with the top name brands there were lots of boxes of noname taps that were made in Yugaslavia. They were some of the best cutting taps in the bunch. I was selling them on ebay and noticed others selling the thing. If you find any of those, they are worth buying. They can be picked up cheap. I still use them.
What was the name brand?

Chuck K

Active User
Like I said.....there is no brand name. I still have a few boxes of them. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. If you search ebay for"made in yugoslavia tap" you'll see a couple for sale. The seller is asking way more than I've ever seen them listed for. Asking isn't selling though.

Chuck K

Active User
20180504_070833.jpg

The boxes just have the tap specs and made in yugoslavia on them. They used to sell for 3 - 5 bucks per on ebay depending on size. If you took the time to scroll through ebay I'm sure you could find some.

[6]
[5] [7]