CDCO HSS tap and die set

guitarman0023

Registered
Registered
Anyone have any feedback on these sets? They claim to be HSS, but for the price, I'm not sure. Was thinking about picking up a set and using them on aluminum, and brass, and possibly trying soft steel. Just curious if they're worth the 36 bucks or not.

Can you include a link? I have tried to search and don't think I am finding what you are referring to.

OH I just think I found it..$36 for the set??. If so that is about $1 per tap and die. I know it says H.S.S. but it doesn't make sense.

David

Last edited:
i have always had good luck with Frank but have not ordered taps and dies.
In Canada I order taps from KBC.

Reactions: TTD
Yeah, part numbers 44444 for SAE, and 44445 for metric. Just wondering if anyone else had used them on aluminum or brass and had any luck

Probably low quality imports but even if half of them are ok, for 36$ hard to go wrong as a starter or beater set

Probably low quality imports but even if half of them are ok, for 36$ hard to go wrong as a starter or beater set
Yeah that was my thought, get me a decent selection for now, and replace them with good ones as I need them for harder material

I like Frank and I have no complaints about the stuff I have bought from him. I wouldn't buy any kind of cutting tool from him. Cheap taps and dies could end up costing more in the long run. Put a few hours and dollars in a project and then break off a tap in it. Not something I want to go cheap on.

Starter machinists and beater workpieces need the best possible tooling.

Put a few hours and dollars in a project and then break off a tap in it. Not something I want to go cheap on.
Amen to that. Which does not mean spending lots of money. If you watch for good used tool sales, you can get excellent taps and dies for cheaper than import stuff. You can even learn to grind the dull ones...

When I was in Jr. High the students were given good quality Union taps and proceeded to snap them off. So my feeling is snap off the cheap ones.
Then when one learns how to tap, buy good ones.
M

[QUOTE="Bob Korves, post: 581632, You can even learn to grind the dull ones...[/QUOTE]
That's above my pay grade. I've aquired enough taps over the years that if I have a dull one, its hits the scrap barrel.

Back