Cell phones in the shop

MontanaLon

Registered
Registered
Everyone has a cell phone and everyone likely uses it in the shop. Last night when I went to bed I plugged my phone in and drifted off to sleep, when I woke up my battery was at 3%. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. "Check your charger cable and make sure you have a proper connection, if you use a case, you may need to remove it".

Well, I have had a case but I have had it since I got the phone not that long ago, but what the heck, I take the case off and plugged it back in. "Check your charger cable". So I went and found another cable. Wouldn't be the first time a cable has gone bad on me.

New cable plugged in. "Please check charger cable." Aaargh. Find another cable, same thing. Try a different power source. "Please check charger cable".

At this point I am looking at new phones and surfing the web looking for a solution. No help with the solutions. New phone it is. Dammit.

But then I looked close at the charger port and there seems to be something silver on the side of the blade the micro USB slides over. I dig out a needle, it is a very tight space. I manage to catch the edge of it with the point of the needle and pried ever so lightly and "Pop' it lands on my t-shirt. A nice little aluminum chip that was perfectly wedged into the charger port. It is about .020x .020x .050 and just the right size to fit and perfectly keep the charger cord from making complete contact.

I have had pocket lint get in there before but you can see it easily and tell that it doesn't belong there. This piece actually blended in and looked like it may belong. Phone is now charging happily. Just thought i would share the experience and maybe save some frustration.

I get grinder flecks wedged in the speaker port too. Get attracted by the magnet.

I get grinder flecks wedged in the speaker port too. Get attracted by the magnet.
My son had two phones that bite the dust (Bad joke intended) from that very thing, grinding grit in the speaker.

Richard

I have Alexa device in my shop in addition to my cell. I can make handsfree calls with it (even if I leave cell at home-- it will even spoof my number to the receiving party) and my wife can also "drop in" like an intercom. Plus it plays music, weather, does math, etc.

I have Alexa device in my shop in addition to my cell. I can make handsfree calls with it (even if I leave cell at home-- it will even spoof my number to the receiving party) and my wife can also "drop in" like an intercom. Plus it plays music, weather, does math, etc.
I'm thinking of adding an Alexa in the garage just for math.

As for the phone, In a bit I'll take a picture of my shop tablet. I use it for my DRO and it's been on for 2 years running. I'm impressed it still works.

Good catch on the aluminum chip. Nowadays most phones have pad chargers. Might be worth it on your next upgrade.

My dad has an Alexa in his shop, and just loves the little spy. I usually leave my phone on a charger and connected to bluetooth speakers in the shop, because rolling under vehicles and leaning into work benches with a phone in my pocket isn't going to end well.

As for stuff in the charging port, I use what I have and what I know for dealing with it- a rifle cleaning toothbrush. Lint and other goodies are the first thing I check for with a charging issue. I haven't had a chip yet, but with my luck it would nuke my phone. Glad yours is still good!

i have a charger that stopped working and will reboot any phone it is a good prank...

I've had problems with debris in my charger port.

I bought a wireless charger pad and now never have any problems. Have one on my night stand, and another on my bench in the shop.

Agree with having an Alexa in the shop. Without stopping what I'm doing, I can ask it to solve a math problem on-the-fly, or convert units, etc.

Last edited:
Back