Cemented carbide usage?

WesPete66

Active User
Registered
I was wondering how popular is the use of cemented carbide? I'm referring to the various sized pieces that one would braze onto a steel bar/holder. Reason I ask is because I landed a box of 150-200 pieces of new carbide at auction, mostly Carboloy & some KenneMetal. Is anybody out there interested in such things these days, or should I have let them go? Does it have any value?
Thanks!
Carbide01.jpg

Personally I would be makin some custom tools with em'............................. my .02..............:big grin:

You can braze them onto almost anything you can put in a tool post.

I have a bunch of that stuff also, never used any of it; it has value as scrap, if nothing else. From what I've seen on e bay, brazed on carbide tools do not sell very well and have little value, with them, the work is already done ----- on these, the work is just getting started.

If you have some bigger but thinner pieces, say .060" or less thick and .5 x .5" or bigger, I might be interested in some at the right price.

Wondering if one could somehow use them for pads on a steady rest or follow rest. Maybe not if you already have rollers but if you have brass tips that are getting worn maybe a carbide tip would last better.

Wondering if one could somehow use them for pads on a steady rest or follow rest. Maybe not if you already have rollers but if you have brass tips that are getting worn maybe a carbide tip would last better.

I would think that brass is used on the steady rest because it is soft and will do much less damage to the part than carbide.

Chris

I have a bunch of them that are already soldered/brazed into a steel shank. The only thing I use them for are in the fly cutters for my mills. They work very well for that and I can run them much faster than I can when using HSS.

Ted

I would think that brass is used on the steady rest because it is soft and will do much less damage to the part than carbide.

Chris
Obviously the edges of the carbide would have to be safe, ie no sharp edges. If the flat side of the carbide was against the work with a long contact line there would be little chance of damaging the work. I would be more concerned about the potential for vibration cracking the carbide.

I'm curious.. I see the scrap/used carbide for sale too. What would one use that material for?

Back