Census 2020 Enumerator job.

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
(Note: I do not intend for this to be any kind of political discussion on whether or not the Census is valid... This is about Safety.)
If anyone here is working as a field enumerator or knows anyone who is, please pass this along.
In general they (The Census Bureau) gives a somewhat decent briefing about safety in the field. The one part that is lacking though is about our furry friends - dogs.
If there is any doubt or question or bad feelings about the location about to be interviewed - turn around and LEAVE.
The Census Bureau leaves the safety of field workers up to local law enforcement, and that is not necessarily a good thing.

My wife has 'done' the Census every time since 1990. This was her fourth 'rodeo' and she was looking forward to it.
Last week she made a stop at a residence, and before she had stepped out of her car at the end of the driveway and walked a couple of steps she was attacked and mauled by a dog.
She suffered multiple deep bite wounds to her right thigh and left foot and required immediate medical attention that resulted in a number of stitches.
(She drove herself to the hospital, which will be a discussion for a later time...)

Then the adventure begins, and it is NOT one that I wish anyone to make.
During that evening and following morning I had to 'raise some serious cane' to get the poor dog impounded.
Then it turns out that his rabies vaccination had lapsed by several months. He will be quarantined for (10) days.

Then the local authorities tried to imply that the wife was trespassing, which is totally incorrect according to Title 13 of US Code. Ingress and all that.

In talking with the Census Bureau - everything will be covered, momentarily wise. We will have to take a wait and see stance on that.

The main reason I bring this up is for safety. After the wife was unable to 'enumerate' the residence that day, another enumerator was given the address to take care of a couple of days later I believe.
Since they have gone 'digital' in performing the census, there was a string of txt messages on the Census issued smartphone regarding the location.
But then it took a few days to get the location designated in the system as 'dangerous' so that no one else would attempt to call on it.
If another enumerator had called on the residence in the following days before the notice was flagged in the system, I dread to think. . .

Wow.

Hopefully, she'll have a full recovery?

Regards

Hope your wife recovers ok. We have dogs at the farm to keep it nailed down. I would hate to have anyone biten. If someone doesn't go past a locked gate or inclosed yard ,how can they be at fault. It's criminal that the rabies shots were not up to date.

Wow.

Hopefully, she'll have a full recovery?

Regards
Honey is the active one in this relationship. The jogger, hiker, etc.
Hopefully there will be no residual effect besides one hell of a scar.
Currently is tough as hell for her to walk with wounds on her right thigh and left foot.
Stitches come out on Monday.

Reactions: tjb
Sorry to hear of this Dan. My wishes for a speedy recovery.

Oh man. I’m sorry to hear about this Dan. I hope your dear wife recovers quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best to your wife Dan, hope all is soon well. I had a census taker show up at my place yesterday, but he had the wrong address, so I thanked him for his work and sent him further up the road. Tough job now days. Mike

Wow, that is just flat scary, hope she heals well.
I worry that my dogs will put muddy prints on peoples car or their clothes, they seem to always bark when somebody comes down the lane, which is what we want. They even nuzzled the tax lady and made nice a couple weeks back...Labradors...
But with all that has gone on this year I need to check with the vets office Monday about shots that might be due, because we didn't go in the spring like usual.

When I was quite young, my mother did the census thing. And yes she got bit by a dog, a beagle. She had a heck of a time proving that it happened there. This was in the 70's so no cell phones.
I don't think you could pay me to walk up to some unknown house in this day and age. Maybe stumble upon a meth lab and get shot. Ummmm, no thanks.

Joe

Back