Center drill for lathe

rgray

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Someone on this site (forgive me for not looking up the name) made a very nice center drilling attatchment that went into a large boring tool holder.

That got me started and I built a quick one from a dead cordless drill (seem to have plenty of those).
I cut off the chuck shaft and pressed it into a larger shaft, built bronze bushings, stepped the end to 3/8. Just attatch another drill and it does a nice job of center drilling on the lathe. The picture of it is at the bottom of this post. I couldn't seem to get it where I wanted it.

The drill motor is very small on cordless drills nowdays so I got to thinking about having the tool holder hold the entire power unit. I had a LI drill whose batteries had gone bad so onto another project.
I cut the dovetail on my shaper View attachment 44497till it fit my QCTPView attachment 44498Drilled and bored till the drill motor fitView attachment 44499View attachment 44500And ended up with a powered center drill. It is not compleatly finished. It needs a depth stop and something better done with the wiring and switch. I run it with a motorcycle battery but and 12 volt would work fine.View attachment 44503This last pic was the first one in my post can't seem to make it go where I wanted it....The drill unit has .002 .TIRView attachment 44495

the pics are in the text as attatchments but don't open unless clicked on. Is that cause they were to large a file? They show up very large when opened.

the pics are in the text as attatchments but don't open unless clicked on. Is that cause they were to large a file? They show up very large when opened.

When i click on them all i get is Invalid Attachment specified. :nuts:

Paul

Sorry, I still get "invalid attachment error".

Chuck

Back