Center Drills?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I been using a used set that came with a box that I had purchase yr or so ago.I am tired of using dull center drills,so I am in market for a set which I believe is 4 but which ones?Since this is something that will last a long time cause its something that you don't use all the time I would like to kinda spare no expense.Not the Nasa grade but a set that will last me for a long time and I hope stay sharp.Any suggestions on what brand and maybe where to check into these?Thanks guys for guidance

Give me a day or two . I have 100s .

Guys I been using a used set that came with a box that I had purchase yr or so ago.I am tired of using dull center drills,so I am in market for a set which I believe is 4 but which ones?Since this is something that will last a long time cause its something that you don't use all the time I would like to kinda spare no expense.Not the Nasa grade but a set that will last me for a long time and I hope stay sharp.Any suggestions on what brand and maybe where to check into these?Thanks guys for guidance
I have been using a set of KEO brand center drills; they come in sizes #1 through #5, with body diameters from 1/8" to 7/16", they come in a round wooden case with a screw on cap. Number EDP10000.

Keo and Titex make some of the best. Chicago Latrobe also makes good ones. Keo is probably the most widely available.

I use #1 for small stuff, #2 for most stuff and the larger sizes rarely.

I found a solid carbide #1 center drill in a garage sale box I got for $5. I don't know how old it is but it has become my goto center drill. They are only $10 or so for that size which is about double the cost of a HF complete set, but it has already outlived cheap center drills 10 times over. The bigger ones in carbide aren't cheap but most of what I do is covered by #1.

You can't go wrong with the Keo center drills. The most commonly used sizes are #2 and #3 when turning between centers.

You could sharpen the ones you have with a 4-facet grind and either a back cut to split the point or thin the web by hand per Harold Hall. All you need more or less is a bench grinder and a spindex fixture or other work holder.

You could sharpen the ones you have with a 4-facet grind and either a back cut to split the point or thin the web by hand per Harold Hall. All you need more or less is a bench grinder and a spindex fixture or other work holder.

In some cases it's less expensive to replace the tooling than it is to regrind them. There are currently several listings on eBay for USA made #3 center drills at less than $2.00 per copy. There is a 12 pack of supposedly new Butterfield's for $18.99, and a 12 pack of no name USA made ones for $24.50. Both with free shipping.

Xometry has solid carbide ones that aren't to bad a price.

Back