Centering the rotary table

I agree with confirming after setup. I like the motto of trust but verify. I trust my rotary table will be within a few thousands by using my adapter but then by throwing my test indicator on the quill and running it around the center hole I merely verified its accuracy or had to move it ever so slightly. It is still much faster than setting up by test indicator alone in my opinion.

I have heard friends tell me that they hardly use their rotary table or hate to remove their vise from the mill table because of the time it takes to set them back up and dial back in. I really don't understand that because after very little practice you can have a vise or rotary table dialed in rather quick. I have just found the little trick I use helps me get there a bit faster.

Time? This is a hobby forum, it is what we do,to occupy our time.
Changing machine tool for the job is the practice to get better to expand my abilities.
When the effort becomes too much for me. it is not a hobby and time for me to get out.
I try too to make use of all the tooling,not avoid it.

Again, I appologize for questioning a new (to me) method, but I get an occasional visitor to my shop that will wonder why I'm using an indicator to tram a rotary table in when all I gotta do is eyeball a steel rule for parallelism to the table.

I'm out of time today but tomorrow I'll post some pics of the tricks I use to make setting the RT up very quick and accurate. The worst part is lifting it.

The steel rule is not being used to check parallelism to the table but to confirm that the centers are lined up accurately much the same way as you would use a rule to determine if your cutting tool is at the center point of the stock on the lathe, or at least that is the way it looks to me.

Great solution!

Tom G, a member here, also posted another solution to his YouTube "Tom's Techniques"

Bernie

My vote is for using a coaxial dial indicator. It's easy to set up and use and I believe it's the most accurate.

Instead of making the adapter I just use a center chucked in the spindle.

This is also the method I employ. As for the accuracy... a man on a galloping horse would never notice any inaccuracy in my work.

Paul.

Changing machine tool for the job is the practice to get better to expand my abilities.
When the effort becomes too much for me. it is not a hobby and time for me to get out.

Very well said. :clapping:

I'd guess that there are many levels of "hobby machinist" and it takes time to step back and try to see things from each end of the spectrum. At one end you have the beginners for whom figuring out the setup is the goal of the day and at the other end you have more advanced hobbyists for whom "setting up" robs them of the little time they can scrounge to complete a part of their project before they have to leave for their real job.

It takes a person with this understanding and some tact (mostly lacking in we old machinists) to applaud an effort and point out a simpler and/or more accurate method. The majority of the time the simpler and/or more accurate method will work equally well for other setups and different machinery too, and using familiar methods leads to making less mistakes.

I'm jealous of anyone for whom time is unimportant. It's the one commodity we can't buy when it runs out.

My vote is for using a coaxial dial indicator. It's easy to set up and use and I believe it's the most accurate.

Like most things in life, and often the case in machining - there is more than one way to get the job done - depending on many different factors.

The coaxial dial works great - but the indicator I have takes up quite a bit of head room (my machine is small and I'm often battling insufficent head room). Of course various other dial arrangements. I like Osborne's Manuever (see Google for explanations) - I first saw it in one of G Lautard's books, is also good (very simple, need only an edge finder, the component diameter and access to the OD of what you're centering over).

Back