[4]

Central Machinery 5hp 60 gal compressor

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Get the warranty and take it back on the last day and get a new one.... I do this with almost everything over $200 from harbor freight...

Just make sure to re-up the warranty.... lol

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Not sure about those new ones but I have the older generation that were branded US General from HF. Mine is the less HP single stage 60 gal model. The US General ones we basically the same thing as the BelAire compressors by ABAC.

On mine the tank is made or certified by Manchester Tank USA. The motor is AO Smith, made in the USA, pressure switch is Condor USA, & the pump is IMC Italy. I purchased it used like 8-10 yrs ago for $250. Still runs strong, no leaks, & absolutely no traces of rust in the tank yet.

AO Smith motors are now Century Motors, last time I saw a US General unit in store the motors were made in Mexico. I have not looked at one the Central Pneumatic 60 gal models yet though in person. I'd say take a look at one in store. But the manufacturers of the parts won't actually tell you how reliable they are.

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
You will have to go up considerably in price to get a higher quality unit. Do buy the warranty but I wouldn't necessarily say to take it back for a new one if it's working well. It will probably do just fine for a hobby shop, maintain it and it should last as long as you expect it should. All it really needs to do is make compressed air, right? Drain it every time you use it, I have a valve with a hose that runs from the bottom of my tank to the side of my workbench to make it easy.

Cheers,

John

WarrenP

Registered
Thank you for your inputs... still deciding over this or the Dewalt one. I am thinking the DeWalt might be a safer bet. A couple hundred more though.

matthewsx

Thank you for your inputs... still deciding over this or the Dewalt one. I am thinking the DeWalt might be a safer bet. A couple hundred more though.
Do some research. Chances are the Dewalt is made in the same factory in China, I doubt they do anything other than put their name on it. Are the specs and warranty similar. If so why spend the extra money?

Since compressors are a single purpose tool they are actually a good place to save money in the shop. If you want real quality look for a used industrial model but make sure to thoroughly inspect the tank.

I used to work for Harbor Freight many years ago and can tell you they stand behind their products as good or better than all but the highest end suppliers. And they are a dedicated tool store representing their own lines, not a big box where the manager might not even know what an air compressor is. Even if you buy a Quincy the most likely time it will fail is right after you buy it so having someone local who will take it back is an advantage in my book. Go talk to the manager at your local HF and see what they have to say about problems with the unit you’re looking at, then try to talk with the manager at Home Depot....

Your air tools won’t be able to tell the difference, I promise;)

John

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
That one looks identical to my Craftsman compressor, which I'm sure cost more. By the amps, it looks to be a true 5HP compressor. Should work well.

WarrenP

Registered
I think you've convinced me to get the HF compressor. One reason I was going to get the DeWalt waas I thought I read somewhere the HF suggested a 40amp setup and I only have 30amp. e Dewalt suggested 30amp. Thing is they both say they use 22amps so the HF should probably run on 30 amps also.

samstu

Registered
I have one, the 5 hp electric motor crapped out a couple weeks ago after a 10 years of moderate use. I swapped it for a used 2 horsepower monster (with a much smaller pulley- 4.5 diameter to 2.0). I can tolerate slow filling times, there's alway a broom in need of pushing....

Otherwise it does pump air and they have ASME certified tanks which you might not find in big box stores.

I traded for mine with a friend who wanted the 7hp IR I was previously using. He needed more air for sandblasting. Sure, I know I got the short end on that deal but we trade stuff back and forth. The upside is that the HF pump runs much slower (should last longer) and is way quieter the the IR beast I was previously using. I had to add a car muffler on the intake of the IR compressor just to make it tolerable in the shop I had back then.

IF Amp draw is a concern, a smaller motor pulley will reduce required HP and subsequently amp draw from the motor.

I will also say that there is very minimal air filtration on the the HF unit compared to IR which had an automotive type air filter, so I you work in a dusty environment, an upgrade might be warranted.

Don't forget to change compressor oil after first hour of use.

WarrenP

Registered
I was going to use it for sand blasting and painting. Hopefully its enough for light sandblasting anyway... as long as i dont have to wait for it to refill to much I should be happy. I was under the impression 5 hp would be fine. I have a smaller compressor now but I have to wait to much after blasting a few before using again. I just have a small blasting cabinet.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
I was going to use it for sand blasting and painting. Hopefully its enough for light sandblasting anyway... as long as i dont have to wait for it to refill to much I should be happy. I was under the impression 5 hp would be fine. I have a smaller compressor now but I have to wait to much after blasting a few before using again. I just have a small blasting cabinet.
I can sandblast continuously with my 5HP @ about 100 PSI

WarrenP

Registered
I can sandblast continuously with my 5HP @ about 100 PSI
Thanks , that makes me feel better about buying the compressor..
Also, thanks to all who replied to this question. I think it will turn out well. (fingers crossed, : P )

WarrenP

Registered
OK, im waiting for the compressor to be delivered. Im wondering about the wiring. I have a 240 volt 30 amp outlet that we are not using for our dryer so I thought I would use that. I know I use the 2 hot wires, red and black for the power and no neutral from what I understand. But the ground needs hooked in too. My receptacle is a 3 wire with the 2 hot and 1 neutral in it. Should I use the neutral wire to be able to run it to the box and hook it to the ground in the box? Or is there another safer or normal way of doing it?

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
While the neutral is a grounded conductor, it is normally not good practice to use the neutral as a ground. Having said that, if the neutral (white wire) in the dryer plug wiring is connected to the ground bus in the breaker panel then wrap some green tape around it at both ends and designate it a ground. Connect to ground lug in the compressor connection box end.

WarrenP

Registered
Ok, Thanks. I am sure the neutral wire in the receptacle is hooked to the neutral as of right now. I was going to unhook it , cap it off and use that conductor for the ground instead ( should be a ground screw on receptacle box , or a ground wire coming into the box, right?). Sounds like that would be ok as long as I mark it green for ground and unhook the neutral from receptacle and cap it off.

My only other problem is I havent been able to find a matching plug for it. Thinking about hooking up a four wire receptacle with the two hots and neutral and ground but on the other end where the plug is I wasnt going to hook up the neutral which isnt needed. Seems strange I cant find a plug for the 3 wire.

Last edited:

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Depending on local codes when your house was built, the neutral and ground could be connected to a common bus in the breaker panel or could be separate buses, and connected together at the service entrance or even at the pole transformer. It sounds like your dryer plug might be a 4 wire where the neutral and ground are separate conductors. I think today most local codes require a 4 wire system, thus the reason you can find a 3 wire plug. Maybe a 50 amp range plug is still available, those are still available and are 3 wire. With the exception of my welder, I have just been installing 4 wire plugs as needed in my shop. Many times I wire the machine to a disconnect on the wall and eliminate the plug all together. Hot tub disconnects are inexpensive.

WarrenP

Registered
I can find a 3 wire plug, just not in the right configuration , my neutral wire is a "D" shape with the 2 hot being at angles , any others I have found are similar to an "L" shape neutral. Guess I will have to move the dryer and look inside the receptacle to see how the ground is.

The house had a fire and was rebuilt in 2000 . Not sure of the exact codes they went by. I am hoping there is a separate ground wire in it so I can connect the ground to it... otherwise im not sure what I should do about the ground.

WarrenP

Registered
Hi , I looked in the outlet and found it has the 2 hot , a neutral, AND a ground wire. Not sure why they didn't just use a 4 wire outlet. Anyway, My plan is to cut the white wire in the receptacle (cap it) and hook the bare wire (ground) to where the white wire would be so when I plug in the cord I can use the white wire in the cord to come up and attach to the ground on the compressor. That way its all contained in the cord. Does anyone see a problem with this? The cord would be a 10/3 dryer cord. or should I get separate wire and plug and make the cord myself? If so, can you tell me which wire I should use? Thanks for all your help.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like it will work. Electricity doesn't care what color the insulation is. :) I would just wrap some green tape around the white wire and call it green.

WarrenP

Registered
Looks like I can use a dryer 30 amp cord then, will pick one up. Should be on my way to getting it going now. Still need to setup some piping fr it though. Thanking about that maxline kit they sell. I guess I will have 3 ports, 1 for painting, 1 for sandblasting and one for all other tools. Hope thats enough. Thank for all the help so far. By the way does anyone know anything about the maxline kits they sell? seems they have good reviews.

kb58

Since air compressors are being discussed, be aware that there are new ones on the market advertised to be extremely quiet. Apparently they are, as buyers are saying that they can carry on normal conversations in the same room. This type is on my list—a counter to the neighbor's airless compressor that I swear can be heard a mile away.

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Since air compressors are being discussed, be aware that there are new ones on the market advertised to be extremely quiet. Apparently they are, as buyers are saying that they can carry on normal conversations in the same room. This type is on my list—a counter to the neighbor's airless compressor that I swear can be heard a mile away.
Eastwood scroll compressor, quiet as a mouse but expensive:

[5] [7]