Central Machinery 5hp 60 gal compressor

I was going to use it for sand blasting and painting. Hopefully its enough for light sandblasting anyway... as long as i dont have to wait for it to refill to much I should be happy. I was under the impression 5 hp would be fine. I have a smaller compressor now but I have to wait to much after blasting a few before using again. I just have a small blasting cabinet.

I can sandblast continuously with my 5HP @ about 100 PSI

I can sandblast continuously with my 5HP @ about 100 PSI

Thanks , that makes me feel better about buying the compressor..
Also, thanks to all who replied to this question. I think it will turn out well. (fingers crossed, : P )

OK, im waiting for the compressor to be delivered. Im wondering about the wiring. I have a 240 volt 30 amp outlet that we are not using for our dryer so I thought I would use that. I know I use the 2 hot wires, red and black for the power and no neutral from what I understand. But the ground needs hooked in too. My receptacle is a 3 wire with the 2 hot and 1 neutral in it. Should I use the neutral wire to be able to run it to the box and hook it to the ground in the box? Or is there another safer or normal way of doing it?

While the neutral is a grounded conductor, it is normally not good practice to use the neutral as a ground. Having said that, if the neutral (white wire) in the dryer plug wiring is connected to the ground bus in the breaker panel then wrap some green tape around it at both ends and designate it a ground. Connect to ground lug in the compressor connection box end.

Ok, Thanks. I am sure the neutral wire in the receptacle is hooked to the neutral as of right now. I was going to unhook it , cap it off and use that conductor for the ground instead ( should be a ground screw on receptacle box , or a ground wire coming into the box, right?). Sounds like that would be ok as long as I mark it green for ground and unhook the neutral from receptacle and cap it off.

My only other problem is I havent been able to find a matching plug for it. Thinking about hooking up a four wire receptacle with the two hots and neutral and ground but on the other end where the plug is I wasnt going to hook up the neutral which isnt needed. Seems strange I cant find a plug for the 3 wire.

Last edited:
Depending on local codes when your house was built, the neutral and ground could be connected to a common bus in the breaker panel or could be separate buses, and connected together at the service entrance or even at the pole transformer. It sounds like your dryer plug might be a 4 wire where the neutral and ground are separate conductors. I think today most local codes require a 4 wire system, thus the reason you can find a 3 wire plug. Maybe a 50 amp range plug is still available, those are still available and are 3 wire. With the exception of my welder, I have just been installing 4 wire plugs as needed in my shop. Many times I wire the machine to a disconnect on the wall and eliminate the plug all together. Hot tub disconnects are inexpensive.

I can find a 3 wire plug, just not in the right configuration , my neutral wire is a "D" shape with the 2 hot being at angles , any others I have found are similar to an "L" shape neutral. Guess I will have to move the dryer and look inside the receptacle to see how the ground is.

The house had a fire and was rebuilt in 2000 . Not sure of the exact codes they went by. I am hoping there is a separate ground wire in it so I can connect the ground to it... otherwise im not sure what I should do about the ground.

Hi , I looked in the outlet and found it has the 2 hot , a neutral, AND a ground wire. Not sure why they didn't just use a 4 wire outlet. Anyway, My plan is to cut the white wire in the receptacle (cap it) and hook the bare wire (ground) to where the white wire would be so when I plug in the cord I can use the white wire in the cord to come up and attach to the ground on the compressor. That way its all contained in the cord. Does anyone see a problem with this? The cord would be a 10/3 dryer cord. or should I get separate wire and plug and make the cord myself? If so, can you tell me which wire I should use? Thanks for all your help.

Sounds like it will work. Electricity doesn't care what color the insulation is. :) I would just wrap some green tape around the white wire and call it green.

Looks like I can use a dryer 30 amp cord then, will pick one up. Should be on my way to getting it going now. Still need to setup some piping fr it though. Thanking about that maxline kit they sell. I guess I will have 3 ports, 1 for painting, 1 for sandblasting and one for all other tools. Hope thats enough. Thank for all the help so far. By the way does anyone know anything about the maxline kits they sell? seems they have good reviews.

Back