Central Machinery bandsaw, should I buy?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Found a local ad on craigslist that is a Central Machinery band saw, appears to be about 4x6. Tag on machine says made in Taiwan and was made in 1982. I don't know much about them, but do have a need for a saw. Asking $100. Does that seem about right?

I have had mine for 15 yrs now. It did need a few adjustments, but otherwise does just fine for hobby use.

I bought a used one 3-4 years ago, I paid about the same. Offer 75 and see if he takes it. They are decent machines. They require many tweets and adjustments to get working nice.

Rich

Seems like a decent price, HF sells them new for $260. They probably go on sale for around $200. I had one and used the crap out of it for 30 years. Finally got tired of fiddling with it to make a straight cut (angled on the plunge) and upgraded to a HP 7 x 12 which I love.

Ask the seller why he's selling it. Maybe it's worn out and he's tired of fiddling with it? Here are a couple of similar saw ads on CL in my area, all a lot more than your seller is asking.

Bruce

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/d/metal-cutting-band-saw-great/6356532269.html
https://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/d/buffalo-metal-cutting-band-saw/6344238105.html
https://flint.craigslist.org/tls/d/band-saw-for-metal-steel/6326991278.html
https://nmi.craigslist.org/tls/d/harbor-freight-metal-cutting/6342429130.html

Had the same one for 5-6 years. Still use it regularly. Tune it up/align it and put a bi-metal blade on it and they work great. I replaced the blade roller bearings a couple years back simply as an upgrade. But the bearings were cheap on Amazon or Ebay. The motor seems to be a heavy duty beast. Just drain the old oil every now and then from the gear box and dump in some mobil one or gear oil. I think as long as it has oil (no matter what the specs), it'll keep running. One thing I did do when I first bought it was weld up a new base with casters. Simple mod. The original stand/bases are pretty junky.

The point that everyone is making, is that the HF bandsaw should be viewed as a kit, that will need work to make it a real performer. There are entire websites about fixing/improving them. For a home shop, as long as you understand that, it’s fine.

I bought a used one 3-4 years ago, I paid about the same. Offer 75 and see if he takes it. They are decent machines. They require many tweets and adjustments to get working nice.
Rich

Seems like a decent price,

Had the same one for 5-6 years. Still use it regularly. Tune it up/align it and put a bi-metal blade on it and they work great.

The point that everyone is making, is that the HF bandsaw should be viewed as a kit, that will need work to make it a real performer...

In looking at the saw, it appeared to be in good shape, and actually fairly well made. The base was sheet metal and in my opinion very sub-optimal but never-the-less quite adequate. I offered $75 and he took it.
I'm already thinking of the projects that will require it's use.

What blade to use for 4130 solid bar, 4130 tube and 17-4 bar? TPI?

I bought blades a while back from McMaster Carr (item number 4179A157)
These were carbon steel blades, but was surprised when I received them. Quality name brand. Cheaper than I could find then anywhere else, but they have gone up about $5 a blade. 10-14 seems to be a good all around blade and has worked well for me, but I'm no bandsaw expert so others may offer some expert advice. The Harbor Freight bi metal blades aren't terrible...they will work ok, but there are obviously better. The plain (non bi-metal) blades at HF don't cut very well, will break fairly quickly and dull easily. Not worth it.

I was taught that the rule of thumb for teeth per inch is 1 1/2 teeth finer than thickness of material. 1/4" stock is 4 divisions per inch. 1 1/2 times that is 6 so a minimum of 6 tpi for 1/4" stock. Too coarse of a blade and you hammer the teeth of the blade. Depending on what you cut, you may want a variety of tpi. I had as fine as 32 tpi or a spacing of 1/32". Could cut 0.036" sheet metal without much of a problem though I'd liked to have a finer blade.

Bruce

My shop teacher (In the 60s) and my current toolmaker mentor both have told me that you need 3 teeth in contact with the work or you can (will?) lose teeth. FWIW :cautious::apologize:

Back