Central Machinery/Harbor Freight Model 5980 3 in 1 upgrading

toolholder

Active User
Registered
I see there is a lot of what looks like well deserved dislike of this machine but I got it cheap enough and it seems like the issues with it could be mostly fixed.

The lead screws/nuts are sloppy so they'll need to be replaced. The mill head could stand to be raised about an inch. Maybe adapt an existing thread cutter gear set.

Anyone gone through one of these and made a decent machine out of it? I really like the space saving aspect of it, I'll be doing small parts for a while and I'll just add a bigger machine when I get to that point.

I have one that also needs some TLC but I have managed to make quite a few things by just sneaking up on the target measurement. It can get kind of tedious and fiddly but when that's all ya got ya make the best of it and move on to other things. actually that machine has taught me to appreciate the finer machines and covet the machines that the others have, as well as teaching me important things about speeds, feed, project securement, and finding edges and zero. But I am disabled on a fixed income and I am saving my pennies that Mr Obama lets me keep to complete a transaction I set in motion a while back. My health has also been in my way lately with several trips to the local hurt house and a couple of rides in the meat wagon so I have to pay those vultures first. They want blood or money so they will just have to be happy with O Positive for the time being. Many many folks have been able to add ball screws and make adjustments to their 5980's and do some pretty neat things, so I would not give up if you got it for a decent price.

Bob

I am in the middle of chemo for stage 4 colon cancer so I understand a little bit, doc says I am doing great though. Chemo leaves me as weak as a little girl, no way I can work, just piddle a few hours a day. Going to school too, I'll be glad when this year is over. I wish you the best with your health issues, it aint no fun.

Yup, being sick or in the Hospital is no fun at all and you never get any sleep or any rest because they want to do all their junk to you at night so everything is done in the morning when the Dr. makes rounds. I just love those 4 am blood draws and catheter insertions, as well as baths and bed changes and, and and...seems like they always have something to tinker or mess with when it is dark. I think they are all secretly either vampires or sadists. Good luck with the chemo, I know it is a tough treatment to tolerate, it is like Hemodialysis because it leaves you weak as a newborn puppy for a day or two every time..

Bob

Lucky for me I only spent a week in the hospital, it was terrible. Like you said they never leave you alone, wake you up all hours of the night for this and that. It had spread to my lungs and they were starting to shut down. As bad as I hate the chemo it did knock it out of my lungs, only spent a month and a 1/2 on oxygen before my lungs bounced back.

Back