Central Machinery Micro Mill on Craigslist

PHPaul

Registered
Registered
CM Micro Mill

Realize condition is everything, but looking for general opinions on this one. Does the price seem reasonable?

I know it's VERY light duty but would be used mostly for small work and model building, aluminum and brass.

Personally I think that's a lot of money for the limited abilities of the machine. Harbor Freight still sells a similar model for $699.00.

https://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html

If the older one is like the current one it only has 2 speeds 1100 rpm and 2200 rpm. If you use the link I supplied you and download the owners manual from their website. The manual gives all the specifications including hp, table size, spindle speeds, and the accessories that come with it.

Yes, I've been doing a little research and watching YouTube vids and that's obviously an older version of the machine. Appears to be missing several features (handwheel for Z axis, variable speed, smaller table). I might go look at it just for the entertainment value and see if he'll deal, but most likely I'll wait and get a machine with more features.

Thanks for your input.

Personally if I was going to buy such a small machine I'd buy the one of those Little Machine Shop offers with a fixed column instead of a tilting column. The reality is even for its size its much more rigid, and most people never really need to tilt the column anyway. Sure you might have to tram it like any inexpensive machine, but once trammed it stays trammed. They can just tilt the work piece in the vise. While sure they cost more than that machine in the ad, they are more machine.

I can't believe I was just arguing in favor of a mini mill. Any mini mill. LOL.

Harbor Freight makes a decent square-column mini mill. They have 25%-off coupons a few times per year.

Harbor Freight makes a decent square-column mini mill. They have 25%-off coupons a few times per year.

But its a tilt column.

Personally if I was going to buy such a small machine I'd buy the one of those Little Machine Shop offers with a fixed column instead of a tilting column. The reality is even for its size its much more rigid, and most people never really need to tilt the column anyway. Sure you might have to tram it like any inexpensive machine, but once trammed it stays trammed. They can just tilt the work piece in the vise. While sure they cost more than that machine in the ad, they are more machine.

I can't believe I was just arguing in favor of a mini mill. Any mini mill. LOL.

Back